Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Maker Faire Demo Giveaway

Today I will be at the fantastic Maker Faire Bay Area in San Mateo, California. I’ll be doing a demonstration on turning vintage books into awesome planners, notebooks an address book covers. You can find my original tutorial HERE. I made several styles to show during the demo and thought they would make fantastic giveaways! So I am giving away TWO of the following books to two readers, winners’ choice!

Here are the demo books:

1. Sunday School Library Book/Small Notebook2. Little Red Book/Calendar Planner with funky graphic detail3. Slide Rule/Notebook4. Secrets of Modern Poker/Calendar Planner with Ace bookmark5. Life Begins at Forty/Notebook with Cracker Box detail6. The Pink Motel Weekly Reader Book/Calendar Planner with Bookmark7. Stunts and Tumbling for Girls/Pros and Cons Notebook8. Friends and Neighbors/Address Book and Notepad
TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY: Leave a comment on this post and tell me which book you would choose if you won and why! International readers are welcome to enter. Be sure there’s a way to email you if you win!

GIVEAWAY DEADLINE: Midnight May 28, 2010. Winners will be announced by the following Sunday.

Winner No. 1 gets first pick, AND if you were actually at the Maker Faire and sat through my demo, I am going to tuck something exrtra in your giveaway as a great big THANK YOU! So when the names are randomly drawn, be sure to let me know if you were there, or let me know in your comment.

UPDATE:

WINNER NO. 1: Patty of My Life Under the Bus

WINNER NO. 2: Katie of Superflash

Congratulations ladies, and a huge thank you to everyone who entered.

396 comments:

1 – 200 of 396   Newer›   Newest»
Linda said...

These are so cool! I hope you'll post a tutorial after the faire. I think I would pick the "friends and neighbors" book, or perhaps the slide rule one.

Carrie Me! said...

These are so great! I wish I could be there to learn how =(

If I won I would choose the Pink Motel book, love that cover!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I second the tutorial request. If chosen, I would choose the life begins at 40.

Unknown said...

I really like these( I made my mom look thru' the tutorial you postedshe's not a blog reader) Ilike both of the red covers,life after forty edging out the other & the pink motel.lucky you to be at the event this weekend!

Kelli said...

I love the Poker and the Pink Motel, so hard to decide! These are awesome ideas and I've been keeping an eye out for vintage books I could do this with.

~Kelli @ Smidgens

Shelley Malone said...

Oh man, I wish I could come!! The whole faire sounds like a blast and of course I'd love to see you working on these in person.

If I won I would definitely pick the Little Red Book. Those graphics are right up my alley!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I am going to have to make a trip to a Maker Faire some day. If I am lucky enough to get picked, I would love the Sunday School notebook and the Slide Rule one.

Oh, My Darling said...

I'd love the Slide Rule one! So funky. omydarlingblog(at)gmail(dot)com

Anna said...

love the pink motel planner book.

kris said...

These are all so awesome! Way to use your creativity to come up with something so zany and yet practical. I would love to carry one of these around! I love the Sunday School notebook and the little red book especially.
kstoner@crosspointe.org

Cathy said...

Life Begins at Forty would be perfect for me to use at work around all those youngsters I have as co-workers!

prutsels said...

Number 1 is my favorite, we are on the east coast, wish I could be there!

cerebral e said...

I love this upcycling/recycling! I wish I could do it. You are so talented. I would choose the "Pros and Cons" book because I am one of those indecisive people who is always balancing the pros and cons before I commit to anything.

Kahri said...

Although I love them ALL, I just HAVE TO HAVE the Life Begins at 40!! You see, my 40th birthday is in JULY (check the inside cover of the book!) of this year!! It would be so perfect!!

Beautiful books, thank you for the chance to win!

tammikins said...

The fair sounds wonderful! I love the Sunday School notebook!

Stacey said...

Sign me up! I'd pick the Little Red Book/Calendar Planner with funky graphic detail although I agree Life Begins at Forty! hee hee. Thanks Cathe

Chelsey N. said...

I would choose #2. Little Red Book/Calendar Planner because of the funky graphic detail!

Leslie said...

Adorable, all of them!! Loving the "Life begins at 40" book (because I may or may not be there!) and the Sunday School book (it'd make a great prayer journal!) You're so talented, Cathe!!

Carrie said...

I love all of them but especially the first one - the sunday school book notebook. The colors of the cover are beautiful. cneaglefan at hotmail dot com

cricketswade said...

I am tickled by the Pink Motel! What fun stuff goes on inside the Pink Motel? Open it up every day and find out!!!

Another amazing, inspiration idea!

Thank you Cathe.

Caro said...

I'd choose the pink motel for two reasons: pink is my favourite colour and I am obsessed with keeping organized!

Every one of them is so cute. Thanks for having a giveaway!

nursesweet at gmail

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Well, I'd have to pick Life Begins at 40 because that's my EXACT age! :) And, it's so true! Love it!

Caseymini said...

Love this idea! My favorite is the "Friends and Neighbors" one. My aunt taught grade school and I remember her having a copy of that one at her house.

Robin said...

I love the idea of a second life for these books....Would love to have The Little Red Book to slip in My Big Red Bag!

Mary Newton Designs said...

I'd love The Pink Motel! I wish I could come see you but I'm way over here in TX:)

Aleximo said...

I love the Sunday School Library Book, and I wish I could have been over at the Maker Fair! But at least we've got some sunshine in the UK today *^_^* xXx

Dee Tollaksen said...

WISH I could be there, but too far from Chicago. LOVE these altered books. Got to find a good used book store! www dot stampwithdee at blogspot dot com

Tracybabey said...

I love these....my pick would be either the "friends and neighbors", or the "life begins at 40"(I just turned 40!). I'm looking forward to going to Maker Faire when it comes to The Henry Ford here in Dearborn,MI this summer.

Unknown said...

Honestly, I love all of them, but my favorite is the little red book with calendar and the graphic detailing. ;)

Lululiz said...

Aaah, the colour of the Sunday School Library Book is so delicious, it would have to be that one, if I was lucky enough to win.

j bird said...

So hard to choose! I'd have to go with the Slide Rule one for my dad. He still has his old slide rule and knows how to use it!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

They are all so wonderful, I do love the Neighbors and friends one the best. Thanks for the opportunity.

azterya said...

These are awesome, hope that there'll be a tutorial. My favourite is the little red book.

Sherrie said...

These are wonderful! I would love to be entered. My favorite is #2

Thank you for sharing. I sure wish I lived close enough to see you demonstrate this in person.

Have a Wonderful Weekend!

Anonymous said...

Yay, I love your giveaway! I would choose the little red book just because it's darling.

Karina said...

Oh So fun!!!! I would love to win the first one...Sunday School Library Book. It is so unique and alluring. Just makes me want to pick it up and stroke the the lovely cover and end paper. *sigh* So pretty!

I wish could be at the makers fair! There needs to be one in Nashville, TN.

roan54 said...

I love the red book. I know that I have read that everyone should have at least one red book

The Crafteelaydee said...

So wish I could still afford to travel, I would have loved to experienced the Maker Faire! I love all the designs, but I am most fond of the Pink Motel cover! Best of luck this weekend!

Monica said...

I love the Sunday School Library Book and the Little Red Book. I've been planning on making my own someday soon too. They are just too awesome!

Sarah said...

I hope you have a great time at the Maker Faire! I love your books. I would choose the Friends and Neighbors book or the Sunday School book. They are so neat!

Laurie (Wally) said...

Oh these are all so neat..I love the idea.. you are very inspirational.. if I had I think I would pick 2. Little Red Book/Calendar Planner with funky graphic detail
I really love how striking the red book is and the graphics are really interesting..Thanks for the chance enjoy your day...

dare said...

what else is there to say?
cathe cathe cathe...if she cant do it no one can :D

Robin. said...

i love #8... it inspires me to cherish my friends! (or at least their addresses haha). i think that cover would be SO cute on a guest book for the home.

Barb said...

The little red book and calender one looks so cute.

deaann said...

I love this tutorial.

Geralyn Gray said...

I would like any one of them.....but, I would like the poker book......I feel life is like a game of poker.....sometimes you get a good pair.....sometimes a full house........and you just have to know when to hold em and know when to fold em......life is like that

Ellen said...

Love those! I'd pick the poker calendar planner. Awesome!

Sarah A. said...

I love the Sunday School Library Book. It's such an interesting old cover.

Dana Gustafson said...

I WISH I was going to be there! Have fun teaching your awesome project!

You ave made so many wonderful choices here...but if I was able to choose just one I have to say the juicy little red book over with the striking graphics inside is my fave. Great inspo Cathe!

Anonymous said...

slide rule! i love the simple, modern feel of it and the top binded pad. i'd probably have the pretty thing on my work desk at home so i can use + admire every day!

Cherie said...

Ah, decisions....decisions...but being over FIFTY...I like the "Life Begins At Forty" one the best...though they are all GREAT!

Unknown said...

The "slide rule" is my fave!

Quasi said...

I would choose the little red book planner. Our very good friend and house sitter just graduated high school and will be starting college in the fall. This would be perfect to finish up the "preparing for college" gift we've put together for her.

yael said...

i love the books, they are a great idea! the pink motel would be my first choice as i was about to look for a calendar and this is so original. second is the little red book.

Stacy Disarrayed said...

I LOVE the Little Red Book! With the funky graphic surprise, it's just so...me! Plus I really need a planner!

I'm totally going to try to make these sometime!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

OH! I wish I could attend :-( But, if I were to win one of these beauties, I'd have to pick the Pink Motel..pink is my color (breast cancer survivor!) and I love the look and the feel of old motels that used to dot Route 66! Thanks for not only the chance to win, but for all you give us on a daily basis!

Camila F. said...

They're all super cute!!! I guess I would pick the lovely Pink Motel book.

naomemandeflores@gmail.com

Brynwood Needleworks said...

What a generous giveaway! If I were to be your lucky winner, I'd chose the Slide Rule book. My father-in-law was "fluent" in slide rule...and although I have and cherish it, I have no idea how to use it.
Have a great weekend.
Donna

Anonymous said...

I love them all but I would choose the poker book. I love the ace card as a bookmark! Wonderful giveaway!

CraftyRachel said...

Sweet! I would choose the slide rule one, because it reminds me of my grandpa, who was an engineer. Since he passed away, his slide rule is the possession of his my father treasures most!

EmandaJ said...

Ooo Cathe, these are so cool. I took and altered books class about 15 years ago and haven't used thos skills since, but I should. However, If I were to win one of these lovelies, I would select the Sunday School book -- I love the graphic quality AND my husband is a minister.

Emanda
artymezia{aT}yahoo.com

cathiesparties@shaw.ca said...

Love,love,love them all...but because my Birthday is May 28th(the contest close date) & because I am a Gemini which means I have a hard time making decisions like this, I'll have to choose between 2, and if I win you'll have to make the final decision. I would choose the Life Starts at Forty (cause I'm there)& use it to write down future plans, dreams, places to go etc. Or the Little Red Book with the fun graphics (cause I love graphics) - I would take with me when I am out and about so everyone else can see it, and I could tell them where & how I got it. Thanks for sharing your talent!!

Good Luck to ME!! :)

Katie B said...

These are so cool! Love the little red book.

Michelle said...

Having just turned 40 this year I'd have to pick the "life Begins at 40" journal. Besides - I love red!

Gina said...

The Pink Motel? Oh no, that was one of the early books I read through the Weekly Reader book club! I might even still have my copy. You know...I spent a lot of money finding a copy of David & the Phoenix. Much as I like the idea of your repurposing, I'd rather see current books used that are cheap and a waste of good reading time. LOL! Really...it's hard to find some of those books. I'll get off my soap box now.

Meghan T. said...

Really you are going to make us pick...what happens if we like them ALL!
My favorite color is red so I would go with number 2!
I wish I could attend the Maker Faire this weekend but I have too much going on here at home! Have fun!

Amy A said...

I'm off to take a look at your tutorial! These are so neat! I'd have to pick the pink one, since it's my fav color and all :) I always carry a planner of some sort even if it's nothing fancier than a notebook to jot things down and get me to places on time

sage said...

They are all very lovely, but I think I would choose the Friends and Neighbors/Address Book and Notepad. I really need a new address book and the handmade kind is just what I'm looking for!

Hopefully we'll be at the Maker Faire today.. I'm not sure if we're going to make it in time to see you, but we're going to try!

Hope you have a wonderful day there today!

:)

Wildflowerhouse said...

Love them all but if I must choose it would be Friends and Neighbors! Wished I lived closer I would have loved to attend.

Myrna said...

Ooooh! Love them ALL! But I guess my favorite would be #1, because of the 'old-fashionedness' of it and it has a Christian theme to it..I collect old prayer books, bibles, etc.

BTW, may I make a post suggestion? Can you write about how you do it ALL? Wife,mom,domestic management specialist,artist and blogger??
How do you stay organized,etc.?
I am in awe of you, Cathe, as clearly many people are! ;-) You are a huge inspiration and blessing..and I would really appreciate any tips and tricks you may have in how you mangage everything!
Thanks!
Hugs,
Myrna

Alice said...

I would HAVE to pick the Pink Motel, I have a huge fondness for motels and motels, second I would pick the slide rule book. Keep up all the great posts Cathe!

DonnaM said...

Oh! I can't decide which one to choose. They're all so unique, but guess I'll pick The Pink Motel because I love the color and the graphic. I'll be checking my local thrift shops & library book sales for more great covers to make more for my family & friends. Thanks

nfaband said...

Such gorgeous work on these books ... I'd love to own one. If I were picking I'd choose the "Life begins at 40" ... simply because I'm there ... actually a bit over 40 now, but no one really needs to know that unless I choose to tell, right. Thanks for the chance to win ... have a great day.

Lori R said...

I would have to choose The Pink Motel. I loved that book as a kid!!

www.luftmoir@mac.com said...

Excellent blog - I would choose the "Slide Rule" book. I teach all the local middle schoolers how to use and appreciate slide rules - we have competitions every month! Everyone would covet my Slide Rule Notebook!

hanksmom said...

I love these! Such great inspiration to try something new. I would choose Stunts and Tumbling For Girls 'cuz it's such a cool title.

Cyndi said...

I want them all! If I HAVE to choose, I'd choose Life Begins at 40. Off to look at the tutorial...

Cynthia Kay Heath said...

I just discovered your blog and just LOVE it - and now a fun giveaway! I would love to win the first book (#1 - Sunday School...) because I love everything about the cover, plus I've been teaching Sunday School for years! Such fun, thank you for the drawing!
Kay from Oklahoma City

papelhilo said...

unfortunately i won't be at Maker faire (as i'm french !!) but i would love to win your "life begin at forty" notebook, as i'm in my way to forty !!
laraignee71@gmail.com

Julia said...

I would choose the Sunday School book and use it for my prayer list. I always love to see what you come up with; you are truly one of the most creative artists I've ever seen!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, those are all awesome! I desperately need a new address book and happen to LOVE carousels, I would take the friends and neighbors address book and notepad... gladly!

kate blue said...

awesome choices-if I had my choice though, it'd be numero #5 since I started being my 'better self' at 40 (when I had some REAL life experiences) and I've always been a cracker instead of a potato chip kinda person so the inside rings my chimes!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Oh it's like potato chips I don't think I could pick just one ! The first two are awesome on vintage goodnes alone .The Stunts and Tumbling would be hysterically ironic since three of us in the family have been to the orthopedist in the last month. The Pink Motel is...well...PINK and with 5 guys in the house I don't see alot of that. The poker one has great graphics. I'm easy. LOL

Analise said...

I love the Sunday School sm. notebook. It's so beautiful! I just left a bunch of georgous books in England that I wish I could use right now, but alas I had to choose books or clothing (it was a difficult choice)

MafiosaGrrl said...

Wow! All of these are awesome- I'm definitely going to check out the tutorial!

I love the Pros/Cons book, it's genius! I always make lists like that so that would be perfect. Thanks for the chance to win :)

Mandiferous said...

I love them all! But if I won I would pick the Sunday School book. It's such a classy take on the notebooks I constantly carry around for ideas, lists, etc.

Briana said...

I love these books! It would be hard to choose. I really liked the Friends and Family book- what a great way to keep addresses and info.

Rebekah said...

oh gosh! these are all SO cool! but i'd have to choose the tumbling one since i coach gymnastics! :)

Grimmy said...

I like the friends and neighbors address book. it's just too cool.

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

These books are so neat!! I love the Friends and Neighbors one with the hobby horse on the cover. Have fun giving your class in California. Love & blessings from NC!

Loonstruck said...

They ALL look wonderful but if forced to choose. I would choose the Sunday School Library book.

Sonja said...

I wish I lived closer, I would have loved to been at the fair!

I would love the "Life begins at Forty". Getting older and proud of it!

Kate Smith said...

I just found your blog a couple of days ago via The Bright Side Project and I love all the DIY help you give! I would love to win The Pink Motel book - the color and the illustration speak to me!

Jo said...

I love the Sunday School Library Book/Small Notebook! I love the cover, and I would use it all the time :)

jo.tee35(at)gmail(dot)com

Yvonne said...

It's hard to pick a favorite, but I guess I would pick the Sunday School one because lately I have been making collages from old hymnal pages. I find it very interesting. Have fun at the faire!

Kaizen Fashion Project said...

What a lovely giveaway! I would choose the 'Secrets of Modern Poker/Calendar Planner with Ace bookmark', I just love the cover and ace bookmark!

Uncanny Festoon said...

I must say you have made me look at book cover a little different. I would choose the Pink Motel Daily...um...because it is pink!



Joy.............all ways



jivyjoy@gmail.com

Ipswich Event Services said...

Hi Kath - always love your style - I am going to share your post with my crafty friends on facebook here in Australia - Thanks for the inspiration and another thing to look for while out scouting the second hand shops

Ipswich Event Services said...

whoops forgot to let you know which one - I would love the Sunday school one or the pink motel - The sunday school one reminds me of something ancient and treasured and the pink motel one - well what can I say other than it is PINK - Thanks again

ice pink stars said...

"The Pink Motel" - I love the pink and the vintage look to it! A calendar would help me too.. I'm all over the place, so it would help me to stay on track :) I love all the books!!
icepinkstars at gmail dot com

renee said...

Love the cover idea. The Pink Motel brings memories of my sister and me loving that story. We wanted to live in the pink motel...couldn't...so we painted our playhouse PINK.

DK said...

I wish I was at Maker Fair! So many blogs I read are hosting demos this time. After the Fair, would you possibly be interested in posting a tutorial or demo for those of us who can't travel? Pretty please?

Anonymous said...

love these! I would get the pink motel or sunday school,
thanks,
debbie
digram@socal.rr.com

Anonymous said...

I think the Sunday School one .... or the Slide Ruler ... but I really like them all so kind of hard to choose!

Kaycee said...

Those are so cool! I would have to get the slide rule one. :)

Unknown said...

These are so adorable!! If I won, I think I'd pick Pink Motel as my first choice... but I also really love the Poker one and the Stunts & Tumbling for girls!

ziagrrl said...

I would totally ask for the Life Begins at 40...I just turned 41! Love it!!

Jane said...

The little notebook would be wonderful for jotting down ideas for my knitting or my writing, and look incredibly wonderful while I'm doing it.

Pros and Cons would be a wonderful book for working out plot and character difficulties in my writings - and I'm all about having attractive accoutrements!

Yolanda said...

I would choose the little red book planner/calendar. I don't have one and could sure use one! Thanks for the chance :D)

Nancy Markosky said...

Great idea to reuse old books and make something so cool! I would love one to tuck in my school book. i'm going to check out your tutorial too- maybe I can figure out how to make one for myself. Thanks- Nancy

Kaley Badger said...

Ohh I just love all your projects! I would take the Sunday school one. I like the blue that was on it.
kaleybadger @ hotmail.com

Unknown said...

I would pick the tumbling for girls book with the pros/cons because I think it would really help me to make good decisions! Love them all and the tutorial for the date book! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I would pick the tumbling for girls one definitely! I think the pros/cons would help make wise decisions! Love them all and the tutorial for the date book! Thanks!

Stella said...

I love that Pink Motel one! I wish I had been at your tutorial, these are so cool - I wish I could make them! I love the Pink Motel most because this is a style of illustration that I am really into at the moment... I wouldn't want to stop looking at it and (hopefully) it would inspire my own illustrations!!! stafish6(at)hotmail(dot)com

Bonney said...

AHH!!!! I absolutely love, love, love these!! The Pink Motel? OMG!! I want that so much!!! (Craft sent me!)

Tracey said...

super awesome! I choose "pink motel". 2nd choice: slide rule.

Heather said...

I'd pick the first one, for the beautiful bluish color and it looks so delightfully old!

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful works with us!

TMB 1776 said...

Love all the designs, and the repurposing of books. If had to choose it would be the pink Motel #6. Craft sent me.

camelama said...

I'm here from Craft ... and I'd have to pick the Pink Motel book, because of a little pink motel I always wanted to stay at, on the drive to Grandma's house, but we never got to. It was always such a lure of beauty for me - they had flowers in pots, and MINIGOLF!

Gandhali said...

oh i love vintage stuff! i would pick the secrets of modern poker, because i love the graphics and the colour is one of my favourites .. :)

OR stunts and tumbling for girls, simply for the "pros and cons" page!

yay i hope i win :)

Spookygirl said...

I LOVE the Pink Motel.. I am not even sure why, it just calls to me ;)

Sadly I was not at Maker Faire, as I came down with the flu :(

Jody Meese said...

These are great! I would choose the Slide Rule one because it reminds me of my Dad, or The Pink Motel because it reminds me of my daughter, who never got to meet him. It was one of her favorite books! Thanks for this generous offering.

Surly said...

Oh God! It has to be "slide rule simplified"!!

All of the books are fabulous!

Johanna said...

i love the pink motel. PICK ME
x

Brittany said...

I love the first one!
It is so cool looking!
You have a great talent

Jenny Bolech said...

These are amazing! I would absolutely choose the slide rule book - I majored in math and would feel totally old-school carrying it around :)

Holly S said...

These are super fab! I'd love to fill one up! Thanks for the chance to win!

Jana said...

Count me in! I'd love to win.
jana

Marianna said...

Life really does begin at 40!!

Waffellebelgium said...

these are so amazing!!!! i would pick Stunts and Tumbling for Girls/Pros and Cons Notebook just because its super cute and funny!

twinssticks(at)yahoo(dot)com

Jennifer said...

What a fun project! I'm in NY, but I would much rather have been at the Faire in beautiful CA.

My choice would be the "Life Begins at Forty" book. Having turned forty last July, I'm trying to make that my mantra!

grace4cyn said...

All the books are wonderful! I think I LOVE #1 and #2. I love note books, I'm forever buying them. I really need to make one like you do. And #2 is great because heaven knows I NEED a calendar or I don't do well. If it's not on my calendar then, we don't go, and I'm in need of a new one.

Thanks very much, you're so talented! I didn't attend the Make Flair, I live to far away (in TN). However, I was born and raised in the bay area, and miss it very much! There's no place like home!

annika said...

these are terrific! i saw them over at the craftzine site...
hope to make one if i don't win the giveaway!
annikah25@gmail.com

Nicki said...

I love the Pink Motel. For some reason it looks a little naughty. LOL

I just love this idea.

VintageCrafter said...

Oh MY!!!! I love the book "Life Begins at Forty!". I think the title of the book is so "true"...I am also loving the Little Red book with the great graphics. Quite honestly, I would be thrilled to win either one!
*smiles*
Carol

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

I *NEED* the Life Beings At 40! I am 39 and have been diligantly working my way through a "40 Things to do Before I'm 40" LIST.

Herein lies the proof:

http://tatterededge.blogspot.com/2010/04/odds-n-ends.html

and last night I got Inked, which was #2! You can see that here:

http://tatterededge.blogspot.com/2010/05/wee-lass.html

SO yeah, I would put that book to use, believe me. My wake up call was being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis 2 years ago. I'm getting busy living.

Aja Reeser said...

Love the little red book or the stunts and tumbling for girls... they are all awesome though!! so hard to choose.

Becky said...

i like the slide rule one. so simple and sweet!

rabel [at] umd [dot] edu

Leah H said...

These are so fantastic it's hard to pick a fave. If I were the winner, though, I'd go with the Stunts and Tumbling notebook. It makes me want to be daring. And I adore Pro/Con lists. Hope all the demos went well!
~Leah

Samantha Holloway said...

Wow, how awesome! I'd love The Little Red Book or Stunts and Tumbling for Girls because they're both super-awesome, and because red is too noticeable to lose! I think my fav would be the Stunts one; who wouldn't want to learn some circus-able skills-- or at least look like you are!

~:D

Lynn Osborne said...

I love them all also, but the Poker one is my favorite. Thanks for the chance to win.

CountessLaurie said...

I love love love these. I am going to start hunting down old books. I would pick either the Poker one for my husband or Life begind at Forty for me (depending if I was feeling giving that day
:-)

Artsnark said...

Lucky You! Hope you have a fantastic Faire!

I really like the slide rule book - very cool

Angie said...

The little red books is so cute. I'd pick that one if I win. As a librarian I LOVE reusing books that have seen their day.


And I am at this moment checking out the tutorial and wondering if I could manage the exacto work without severing a finger ...

8]

Karen said...

CRAFT sent me - I would love to have gone to Maker Faire if only they would move it to Indianapolis, or even Cincinnati. These books are so cool! I like the slide rule one, I had a slide rule in high school and they are obsolete now. Also like the Sunday School book. You do great work and I am going over to check the tutorial right now.l

tyumenqueen said...

My first choice is the Pink Motel Weekly Reader. I guess because the name takes me back to grade school and those wonderful weekly readers we were given every week! Thanks!...

Misty.Creek said...

This is on my "To Craft" list--I've even bought the book to use as the cover. I like the pink book but would probably use the Friends and Neighbors address book more so I'll pick that one!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathe, I would love to win that Sunday School book and make it a journal. I remember having perfect attendance in Sunday School about a hundred years ago. Thanks! Sally sjhackney (at) yahoo (dot) com

Backwoods Babble said...

I have been wondering what Maker Faire was as I've been seeing a ton of buzz about it on Twitter lately. How cool! Wish I could be there and may need to schedule the trip for next year! =)

I love, love, the red book with the graphic detail. As an aspiring artist, I am always on the hunt for inspiration especially in color. I love the surprise you get when you open the red book and see that gorgeous color inside.

Best of luck at Maker Faire! You'll be sure to amaze and delight your audience! =)

coming out crooked said...

I wish Makers Faire could bring you all to Australia - I'm so jealous! I loove Stunts and Tumbling for Girls (right up my alley, I teach circus skills to kids)

MSJNT said...

I am so loving the Pink Motel Reader/Calendar. Have a great time at the Faire. I wish we had some cool DIY fair in my neck of the woods.

Katie said...

those are so cool! makes me want to go out and buy a bunch of books at the used book store hehe

i would love to use the Little Red Book/Calendar Planner with funky graphic detail

kshuttle@uoguelph.ca

Mary K. said...

I love all these. I know of alot of my friends would be so jealous if they saw me with one of these at school. I think my favorite is the red book with the funky graphics.

Jillian said...

I have had the original tutorial bookmarked so long now I feel guilty entering the giveaway. That being said: pick me! pick me! And while I love the Pink Motel, I am quite fond of the graphic detail on the Little Red book!

Bella said...

WOW! I would love to win number 1 because it looks so old, so beautiful, it has so much CHARACTER and it just made my breath go away when I saw it! :)

email: bellatheowl{at}gmail{dot}com

she dreams big! said...

I have scads of old books! I'm checking out the tutorial now! Bet I couldn't make one as wonderful as these though!

Love the 'Pink Hotel' or the red book! If I lived anywhere close, you bet I would have been there to see your demo!

Thanks for the chance to win one!

RosieB said...

I just had to come out of lurkdom to try for a chance of one of these great books! I'm off now to look at the tutorial, thanks so much :)

coasterkim said...

I love The Pink Motel! I work for a breast cancer organization so my current calendar/planner is pink, but not nearly as cool as this one!

Lily said...

I absolutely LOVe the "Life begins at 40" one. These are really cool. :)

anniem said...

I would choose "stunts and tumbling for girls" because I sucked big time in gymnastics at high school (probably elementary school too but I've conveniently forgotten that part of my life). That means I could use the book as a super top secret diary and no one I mean no. one. would ever think it was mine. Oh no maybe the slide rule one cause I actually knew how to use one of those and I have my fathers slide rule from school. Hhhmm now I am preplexed. What fun , thanks Cathe.
Ann

Fiber Babble said...

Oh, yes, these are extremely cool creations! I am SUCH a fan of notebooks and these are so inspiring :-)

I'm all over the Secrets of Modern Poker - love the humor, and including the 'bookmark' is priceless!

Thank you for so generously sharing the tutorial and the fruits of your labours!!!

marysworkshop said...

That little red book is a charmer alright. Maybe it could hold all my notes for new ideas until I have time to make them some day... or it would look wonderful just sitting there!

Momma said...

I bookmarked the tutorial, but if I had the Sunday School notebook, it would so amazing (not to mention inspiring)! How could I not write in that lovely notebook everyday?

Wish I could get to Maker Faire from Central Pennsylvania...

Amy said...

These are terrific and inspiring. I'd definitely pick the slide rule book because I inherited my grandfather's slide rule and it's a prized possession that holds a place of honor in my workspace. Having the notebook would be a reminder of him everywhere I go. :)

Tarnished Rose said...

I would chose the Life Begins at Forty notebook. Why? Because for me, life turned around and got better for me at 40.

Smiles~
Marilyn

little Bean said...

Really wish I was there! But I certainly would like a planner

pamela said...

I love the little Sunday School Library book. I saw your demo today at Maker Faire. I'll not pass up another "free" book box without a look again.

fanciful devices said...

Oh that first one!!! IT manages to be dingy and saturated at the same time. Gorgeous!

Robin said...

I'd be stoked to get any of them. #1, #2 and #7 are especially cute.

Kimberly said...

Hello from Santa Rosa! Congratulations on your Maker Faire event. Wish I could have been in the first row for your event, but my three wee ones needed me at home this year.

I love your fantastic vintage notebooks and calendars! I Found your website on Craftzine awhile ago and have visited ever since. Thanks for the great ideas and inspiration.

Ginny said...

They are all so cool! I would definitely pick Stunts and Tumbling for Girls/Pros and Cons Notebook

Alcy's Hobby Room said...

Thank you for the tutorial & giveaway.

If chosen, I would pick "The Pink Motel" planner book. It's cute & pink's my favourite colour.

Alcy - Singapore

Kristin said...

I love the stunts for girls pros/cons notebook, I am constantly making pro/con lists, i love the idea of a book!

elaine r said...

I like the Friends and Neighbors booklet-love these!

Elaine R
emrosser@shaw.ca

michelleb. said...

They are FANTASTIC! All of them! There are two that I would have a hard time choosing between. First, Life Begins at Forty. Because honestly, it does. I'm 45 and I have had more fun and tried so many different things since turning 40 that I never felt I had tghe time for before. Like High Ropes Challenges and Tough Mudder Races. Second would be Stunts & Tumbling for Girls. All girls should know how to tumble, especailly after 40 and the Pros & Cons list is a great way to decide which adventure to embark on next!
Thanks for sharing! mblaise 29 at yahoo dot com

Whitney @ Whisker Graphics said...

Cathe,
It was so nice to see you and watch your demo at Maker Faire. You did a great job!
xx,
Whitney

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

when I heard about book covers demo, I thought it was the ones you cover books with lol. Now if I had to choose a book, I would choose the Little Red Book/Calendar Planner with funky graphic detail. why? because I recently came home from the service and now a stay home momma. I need to plan out my days. :) Thank you for showing everyone this great lesson today at the fair.
Lilkittymai@hotmail.com

tifffoster said...

I would choose little red book or secrets of modern poker. I love the bright colors.

mab said...

These are super fun. After you posted your tutorial, I've been on the lookout for great books to turn into journals. I think my faves are the Stunts for girls and... all of them! :) Ok, not so much the pink one since I'm not a pinky pie. But, they're all fab!

Thanks for the chance to enter!

Mormor Marianne said...

I love those books. Whished I could come to the show. But its too long from Sweden. But I would like to win one. If so number 5. Life Begins at Forty/Notebook with Cracker Box detail. I would like to give that one to my granddaugther who always are writing. whish I could see you making these books so I colnd make one by myself. mariannele@hotmail.com
If I win
Marianne

Fiorella said...

I wish I could be there....but Italy isn't exactly next door...anyway I love them all but perhaps Friends and Neighbors book would be my choice. Thanks for the opportunity
fiorellacorini@alice.it

Nicole Austin said...

wow! i find it impossible to choose a favorite!! i like every single one of them and for different reasons! they all speak to me. so amazing!!
nicole
kinueko at gmail dot com

Dream on the wave said...

They are great. I wish I could come to the Faire. I would really like hat but unfortunately too far away...
But if luck is with me, I'll win a Cathe Original. That would be just as nice

Alexis said...

I love how these notebooks and planners are made out of old books! My favorite cover is the Sunday School Library book but as I need a planner, I'd choose The Pink Motel one, if the inside is undated. :)

fuenteswd said...

Hi Cathe:) Thank you for sharing your talent and for being so generous. This vintage planner tutorial is very nice and taught me exactly what to do with an old book that only look good from the outside but doesn't have much to offer on the inside.

If I win, I will choose - Sunday School Library Book. Why, because it's got that simple, understated vintage charm, just perfect!

(My email address is fuenteswd@gmail.com)

Kate said...

I would love the Friends and Neighbors book, although it is tough to choose just one. Those are so great and I wish I had know about the faire earlier- I would have been there!

mub said...

It's hard to choose just one but I think I'd go for the Slide Rule one! I just think it's amusing and I found some old slide rules at a rummage sale awhile back.

Unknown said...

Ooh, the Sunday School Library book would be ideal for me. I could write lots of naughty things in there and people would be none-the-wiser!! How absolutely devilish of me ;)

lakemaid said...

creative repurpose!

i would pick the
"life begins at forty"
it would be a a gift for a friend
for her 40th birthday!
slainte!

Lévai Mariann said...

Ohh, I really love the Pink Motel book:) it is amazing...

Sirpa said...

So beautiful!
I have also bought several old books to be used as notebooks, but I'm using the original pages covered by some gesso.
If I won I would choose the Sunday School Library Book because it looks so beautifully old, and I like empty notebooks.

Unknown said...

These are amazing! I really love the idea of bringing new life to old books. ^^ My favorite would have to be the Sunday School Library Book/Small Notebook. It was actually the first one that caught my eye because I love the color and it has a weathered look to it which gives it a very vintage feel. c:

vesipisaroita [at] gmail [dot] com

csl said...

The notebooks are so neat. What a great idea! The actual book covers seem to be in really good condition. I would choose either the Sunday School book or, maybe, the Pink Motel.

peep said...

You are one creative lady! I really like them all but #1 and the cracker jacks cover are my picks, I have never done anything like this I plan to complete a project in the next week this will be the one. Thank you for sharing

Kathie said...

I love this idea of yours and have already made my first version! The Life Begins at 40 would be a gas and I am tickled to see the use of the cracker box for the pocket to hold the notebook cover.
Kathie (with an "ie")
kmaggierose at aol dot com

Jennifer Emick said...

The sunday school book is adorable!

Crafter-holic said...

Thanks for doing a giveaway!
I would pick no. 3 the slide rule notebook because I love vintage instructionals/diagrams, and it looks like a great book to doodle in :-)

Liz said...

Live to far away to be there but would love to make one. I especially like the Friends and Neighbors book.

Mimi said...

I work in a library and am always perusing the de-accessioned books for craft possibilities. Thank you for this great idea. I would choose "Life Begins at 40" but in my case it's 60!

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 396   Newer› Newest»