Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tooth Fairy Confidential


Be warned if you have a little one on your lap while reading this, I will be revealing a few secrets about you-know-who.


The time has finally come when my three children have lost all of their baby teeth. Although my son has known the secret of the tooth fairy for some time, my girls were only recently ready to acknowledge the truth as well. So yesterday, I pulled the big secret shoe box out of my closet and we dug in. It was painfully obvious that Jeff and I were sleepwalking when tucking into the box little teeth wrapped in paper labeled with names and dates on them. Chicken scratch, barely legible at times. The bottom of the box rattled with the loose, mixed and unlabeled teeth of all 3 kids, apparently from those times that we were just too darn tired from getting up in the night to sneak under pillows for the tooth/dollar exchange.
Click on any image to enlarge.My daughter, Jamie, began writing letters with questions to the tooth fairy several years ago. And the tooth fairy wrote back. Jamie brought me all the letters today to share. Each folded as tiny as paper can be folded. I remember how my hand would cramp from writing so small. Just reading them again reminds me how fast our children grow, such innocence to want to be best friends with the tooth fairy.
In my shoe box of teeth there was a tiny bag handmade by Jamie as a gift to the tooth fairy, complete with dental floss handles. Too sweet. Of course, the tooth fairy loved it as documented in her letter. We got the biggest laugh reading letters from Bennett. Most every note was asking for more money. Our favorite was the one he wrote soon after our Mexico vacation when he had returned with some coins as souvenirs. He taped a coin along side his tooth to the note. I guess he figured the tooth fairy could use some help.Dear Tooth Fairy,
Can we start getting $5 or $10 for a tooth instead of $1?
From Bennett
P.S. Here is money for Mexican kids

29 comments:

My @ tha Hotness said...

OMG...this is sooo adorable and funny. I love the coins for the Mexican kids. How thoughtful.

Crafterella said...

Those little letters are just too cute, what a wonderful keepsake!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

That is just too cute!! I finally figured out that the tooth fairy was my Dad when I wrote a letter asking if I could keep my tooth and get money. When the tooth fairy aka: my dad wrote back he didn't try to disguise his handwriting. I recognized it right away & put 2 & 2 together. I wish I had kept all my son's teeth. But I didn't.

Sophie said...

what a supercute idea, and a great keepsake. That gives me an idea for my own kids.

Hannah Nicole said...

Oh, how sweet. :)

amybluestar said...

Love! That made me laugh. :D

NicNacManiac said...

How lovely!! This is what memories are made of!! Those lucky kids will have stories to tell for years to come and letters to back it up!!
Your an amazing mom!!
Hugs xOxO, Nerina :)

Anonymous said...

The innocence of youth and the magical gift of believing in the tooth fairy. These letters are such treasures! As are your kids! (Lisa Mertens)

Whitney @ Whisker Graphics said...

Those are the SWEETEST notes! After reading them, I've been swayed and now believe the tooth fairy does exist (along with her parents in her castle decorated with teeth, of course). Thanks for sharing these!

Rosy Revolver said...

Hilarious and sweet. So this is what I've got to look forward to, eh?

the undomesticated wife said...

That is so funny!

My mom has my great-grandmother's cookie jar up on the top of her hutch in the dining room. Last time I went home to visit, we pulled it down to look at it (because I want the jar, but she won't let me have it until she's "dead" she says). Anyway, we opened it up and found tons of teeth and hair from haircuts. Ew!!!! LOL We got a good laugh and told mom she can go ahead and throw that all away since we're in our 30s. LOL

Wendy said...

Too sweet for words!

Anonymous said...

What a cute and great idea :D

In Denmark it's not that big a tradition to 'sell' teeth to a toothfairy. Usually kids sell them to grandparents and other familymember who'd like to have one. But, my daughter will soon start to loose her teeth, I might try to get her to leave it under her pillow for the toothfairy instead :)

Faded Plains said...

That is too darn cute!

laurie magpie ethel said...

Glad you saved that little slice of childhood. My mom kept all my teeth and presented them to me a few years ago. She also included the white bean that I colored one end with a red marker (to resemble a tooth). Evidently I had swallowed my tooth and being so money hungry I had created a fake tooth to fool the tooth fairy. It didn't work and the TF left me a note saying it was only a bean and a fake. I wrote back the next night - apoloqized for trying to fool the TF and asked if I could still have the money. The TF took pity on me and left a dime under my pillow. Yes, a dime. That is what we used to get - a quarter if it had a filling.

marysworkshop said...

I love your son's note asking for more money and including some of his own to give the Mexican kids! How sweet and innocent- you made a few of us smile by sharing that charmer.

The Dragonfly said...

What a clever momma you are! When I was young, the tooth fairy forgot to come two nights in a row, so my parents called a friend who immediately and without warning disguised her voice and became my fairy. It was magical and believable. Two years later I found all of my teeth in a glass owl on a bookshelf in my parents bedroom. Needless to say, a bit devastating! :)

Terri S said...

This reminds me of when my son was young(now 20). He was on the fence about the jolly guy in the red suit. He used to leave cookies, carrots, etc (even his pacifier, yep that's how we finally got rid of it) and he would always get a hand written note back (my hand hurt too, trying to write in a different way. One year he said he didn't think the big guy was real...however the next year when his gifts were more expesnsive he said the big guy has to be real cause you and Daddy could never afford these presents. Oh the things we do for (our) enjoyment.

Jenn said...

Oh how adorable!

Tattered Rebel said...

This is too funny.. I just made last night a tag with a stamp I had of Brush, CO TOOTHDAY...Fairyland.

My youngest lost his second tooth.. first one he swallowed, and was ever so distressed about the toothfairy not being able to get in his belly! So last night his comment was.. do you think I will get $700.00 for the beach house..? Lord.. what happened to the fifty cent piece I used to get!!

LRice60 said...

Lol, love the tooth fairy letters from your kids. Reminds me of the time the tooth fairy took a week to pay up for a lost tooth. I finally had to write a letter explaining that she had fallen on the winter ice and had been unable to fly with a broken wing!

kath001 said...

I had to make amends for a fairy delay once too. :)

I used my best calligraphy to write a letter of apology and explanation, then took it to a copy machine, reduced it to teeny tiny and printed it on parchment-like paper, used a gold paint pen to trim the edges, rolled it like a scroll (sprinkling in a little ultra-fine glitter), and tied it with gold thread.

Sheesh, kinda sounds like I needed fairy therapy!

The Redhead Riter said...

That is so sweet.

Hope you experienced a wonderfully fantastic Tuesday!

CAKE Creative Co. said...

i laughed out loud when i read the note from your son. priceless. the letters are wonderful... what a good mom you are.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I love this! I still have a tin box with some of my kids' baby teeth in it!!

Lindsay said...

Thank you for sharing these letters and memories! Absolutely precious!!! What a creative tooth fairy you were! :)

down pillow said...

Can I just share with you how tickled I am to have found this little post?? My son hasn't lost his first tooth yet, but at age 5 I'm sure it's coming! I loved the idea of the notes to/from TF! I am going to make sure this is a tradition we stick to! I'm not sure I'll be keeping all his teeth though... maybe I'll change my mind when the first one falls out.

Semper Fi Momma said...

This is absolutely beautiful. The kind of keepsakes that, as you said, remind us of the innocence of our little babies, and, unfortunately, how quickly they grow.

I love it!
Thanks for sharing.

Deanna said...

I use empty perscription bottles for my kids teeth. Still have not decorated them properly. Kid #2 only lost his 3rd & 4th teeth last week so maybe there is still time.