Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Beginner’s Luck and Thank You Freebies

As of this writing, Sunday night, I have sold 8 of my sketchbooks since opening my Etsy shop on Friday evening. Well, that sounds like a blog post to me! So I thought I would share a fun little nugget of one of the things that makes shopping on Etsy so much fun and how I’m now doing it as a seller. They’re called freebies. Otherwise known as “thank you” gifts.

More often than not, when buying handmade items, or supplies on Etsy, along with my order has come an enclosed free gift. It’s certainly not a requirement of sellers, but some do it anyway. I’ve received things such as an extra little ziplock bag of buttons with my button order, a pair of earrings to match the bracelet I ordered, even an extra item just like the ones I ordered, sort of a surprise buy 3 get one free. And there’s almost always a nice thank you note.

So, here’s a little show-and-tell of the thing I included in my first orders, all from stuff I already had in my studio. I can’t promise I’ll always tuck the same thing into every order, but you’re sure to get a something extra in your package if you shop my Etsy store.

For my first shipment, I used the following:

  • Little glassine envelopes, left over from a different project
  • Note cards cut from vintage blue index cards, stamped with a “Thank You” from my custom rubber-stamp collection.
  • Sheets of red and white labels -because everyone loves a label!
  • Bakers twine (from huge spools purchased on ebay, great deal and obviously, I use it for everything!) wrapped around little cardboard spools that I found in tiny bundles at the thrift store.


Each journal was wrapped in vintage legal size typewriter paper, sealed with my personal label and tied up with (again,) baker’s twine and vintage button.

Why go to all this trouble to wrap and add extras? Because everyone likes to open a gift wrapped item now and then even if they did buy it, and... it’s just plain nice.

Now that everything is wrapped, sealed and ready to ship, I realize I left out one very important item from 7 of the 8 packages...my business card. (What a rookie.)

Oh well, it’s to the post office first thing tomorrow- Hooray!







20 comments:

Taylor said...

That's really great! I've gotten spoiled by nice packaging and freebies in my Etsy orders that when I only receive the item I ordered and nothing else, not even a thank you note, I'm a little let down like the seller just didn't care about me but glad that a purchase was made.

I sell jewelry so I don't include freebies so I make sure to write a quick note and package my items cutely so the buyer knows I took the time to package their order just for them.

BonTons said...

That's a really cute package filled with lovely goodies. Great inspiration about what I can do to improve my packaging! Thanks

FishStikks said...

You've done a wonderful job packaging your orders up so beautifully. I love the sticker you've used on the back there and those spools of bakers twine! I may have to look into something like that. Very inspirational!

Aisle 3 Studio said...

I like to include a handmade thank you note cut into an old school price tag that matches my shop theme and have been thinking about a freebie to give. I like your ideas!

M. B. Karger said...

Congratulations on your Etsy success. You seem like a pro already. Your packaging and extra goodies look divine. Well done!

nicole said...

Such lovely extras. bravo on your etsy sucess!

Whisker Graphics said...

Lucky smucky! It's not luck you sold 8 journals, it's pure talent! I LOVE your wrapping for the journals and your "freebie" is so darn cute I bet you could sell a little kit like it in your shop...
Congratulations!!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Congrats! I love your journals and just discovered your store. Very cool. I've been thinking of opening an Etsy shop too. Glad to see things are going well for you. Yeah!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I just placed my first order on Etsy and didn't know the packages sometimes come with freebies, so can't wait to see if I receive anything extra!

BeckyKay said...

Wow! I would be thrilled to receive an item all wrapped up pretty like that! Truly, the packaging is one of my favorite parts of ordering from Etsy.

I wrap my bags in tissue paper with a black and white striped grograin ribbon and logo sticker. 'Cuz opening presents is fun! (Even if you do pay for them!)

vicki archer said...

Your wrapping is exquisite and I am sure your journals are too - shall be off to have a look. How lovely to get an extra surprise when you shop on Etsy, xv.

Autumn said...

So darling! I'll keep an eye on your shop. I love the packaging. I just noticed on your link of followers it says 'STOP FOLLOWING'. I don't understand? Thanks.

High Desert Diva said...

The red button is a nice touch, too.

High Desert Diva said...

Cathe,
There's an Etsy Packaging group on Flickr. Fun to show off your packaging. Here's the link:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/etsypackaging/
and here's one of my packages:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/highdesertdiva/2574016250/

Cathe Holden said...

Thanks Autumn!

I believe if you follow this blog, that you have the option to stop following if you click that. It would only show up to followers.

Have a great day!

Autumn said...

Cathe, thanks for explaining. Got it! :)

be your original best said...

Cathe!
thank you!! I just received my journal...and while it may have been your first etsy sale...it was my first Christmas gift!(well.. gift to myself!!)it is perfection- just adorable...and of course the whole package was packed with detail and goodies! thanks!
thought of you last night - i was out for dinner and had Red Truck red wine -it was very good!
www.redtruckwine.com - they are in CA. check them out!

Cathe Holden said...

Shelly! Thanks for the great note! I am so glad that you are happy with the journal.

Red Truck wine, isn't that just the most beautiful label? Thanks for thinking of me, you're so cool.

Anonymous said...

Everything looks great - love the red and white bakers twine! I copied you and just bought a big spool of it after reading this post!!! Now I just need some time to make stuff to use the twine to tie around....

jocelyn teo said...

so you actually give out the baker's twine?? :) do the buyers tell u what they use it for? and that button on the final packaging with the twine is damn pretty, but would it drop off along the postage route? :) love the entire packaging though. :)