
Today we welcome home to our neighborhood a brave young hero that grew up a few houses away that we’ve never met, but who’s sacrifice we will never forget. Steven Kiernan lost his left foot and right leg below the knee in a bomb blast in Falluja on May 4 after being in Iraq less than a month. He was an honor student and enrolled in the Marines in 2005 when he was 17, after fulfilling his high school requirements early. He finished boot camp just in time to return home and participate in his graduation at Petaluma High. After his hospitalization at Walter Reed in Washington, D.C. he now lives at an outpatient facility in D.C. He has been working with his new prosthetics and as I’ve read, didn’t want to return home until he was walking again. His family has been busy installing wheelchair ramps around their home in time for his return.

The kids made a welcome home banner to hang along the pasture fence to greet the hero returning today who sacrificed so much for our family and our country. Saturday will be the neighborhood welcome home party and I look forward to finally meeting him and thanking him myself.
If you would like to leave a message for Steven, I will be sure he receives it. Thank you.
Steven’s return was the front page article today in our paper. Click HERE to read.

45 comments:
I am sending a great big WELCOME to that wonderful young man. My husbands nephew is in the Army he is infantry division and has already gone to Iraq once. He joined up right out of High School and is now stationed in Germany. Thanks you to all of our Men and Women that are overseas for our country!
welcome home! glad you are safe, thank you for everything.
Heartfelt thanks, hugs, and best wishes for Steven!
It means a lot to me for someone to so bravely go to the warzone and risk life and limb so that my sons are not expected to go. It takes a special person to have the heart of a soldier.
I'm so awed and grateful for such willingness to serve our country!
God be with you, Steven!
Welcome home, Steven! Thank you so much for all you've done, and stay strong.
Hi Steven,
You are the prime example of why we are so proud of our American Troops! You gave it your all! I thank God that your life was spared!
Thank you so much for fighting for our freedom and protection from those who would seek to destroy us! God bless you, Steven!
Many Blessings,
><>
Char
Steven, our family would like to send a sincere Thank You for your willingness to sacrifice yourself to keep us and our country safe. Our prayers are with you as you return home and start down your new path. Glenna
Steven, I am so grateful for your service, and am inspired by your strength and sacrifice. It's men like you that I point to when I tell my boys what it's like to be a man, put self last, and serve your fellow Americans. Our prayers and thanks are with you!
Welcome home Steven! You are a true hero and I wish you all the best. Looking great! Keep your chin up.
A
Steven, Welcome Home!
Please accept my heartfelt thank you for your bravery and courage in serving our Country -
Thank you so much, Steven. And, welcome home!!!!!
Welcome home Steven! Thank you so much for your service to this country. I can't begin to imagine what you experienced, but I am truly grateful.
Welcome home Steven! Thank you so much for risking everything for us. God bless you!
Welcome home!!!!!
A Great BIG Welcome Home Steven!!!
We cannot thank you enough for your service and sacrifice for our country. Godspeed in your recuperation. You're in our thoughts & prayers.
Thank you so much for your sacrifice. After losing a friend, Cpl Casey Zylman, my appreciation of you and all soldiers is through the roof!!!
Thank you.
Thank you for for sacrificing so much for all of us. Even my little family. Welcome Home.
A big hug from the Wood Family to Steven! Thank you for all you have done for our country! Welcome home, you are a true hero.
I don't think words can even express how grateful I am that you serve our country and keep us safe. You truly are a hero! Welcome home!
Welcome home, Steven! I humbly thank you for putting yourself in harm's way to protect our country and to further the cause of freedom for all people. May God bless you in ways you cannot yet imagine.
Welcome home. God Bless you.
Thank You for protecting my family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Welcome home!
Welcome home Steven! There are not enough words to express our graditude. God Bless!
Thank you for your service seems so inconsequential. I'm honored to be represented by a man of such character.
Welcome home!! I can't thank you enough for all you've sacrificed.
Steven, thank you so much for your service and sacrifice to our country! My brother (a Marine) returned home last November and he shared with me what it was like there for him, thank you for fighting the terrorist there so we do not have to fight the terrorist here, you are and always will be a hero. God Bless You!
Welcome Home!
God Bless You and Thank You for your Service and Sacrifice!
Steven, thank you for your sacrifices for me and my family. I am SO thankful for you and those like you who do what they can to keep America safe for me and mine. I will pray for your quickest return to civilian life, and for others who lost more than just time in the middle east.
Bless you and your family :-) Jill
Welcome home Steven and thanks so much for your dedication and sacrifice. So many people appreciate you and what you stand for! My little brother is also in the army as was my father and grandfather and so we have a lot of love for our soldiers. Remain strong and keep the faith, know that you have so much support, even if it doesn't feel like it. You are a great example to many, including my sons.
I am a naturalized citizen of the United States. We live in such a great country - the best in the world. We must preserve it's core values. And your service Steven has helped us with that. Thank you so much. May God bless you abundantly!
Welcome Home, Steven. I can not express to you my gratitude for the sacrifice you made to protect our country. You will be in my prayers and thoughts.
Welcome home. I thank you for your service for us, the US citizens. I pray for your strength and healing.
I also pray for my youngest daughter who will be deployed to Iraq the first week of November.
God bless you and all those who served with you.
Steven, sending you ((HUGS)) and a big kiss on your cheek.
Words cannot express the gratitude my husband and I have for your bravery to serve our country and protect us.
As you become stronger each day, may you never forget what an important person you are.
Wishing you a lifetime of joy & happiness.
Sandy Williams
theEclecticstudio@yahoo.com
My family and I thank God for the gift you have given to us through your service. There are 7 of us and many little people whose futures you sacrificed to preserve. Your gift to us is not forgotten...You will continue to be in our prayers as you undertake the next phase of your journey.
Steven-- a big welcome home to you!
Thank you so very much for everything you did for us! WE are so proud of you !!
Stay strong!!! A big hug and kiss !
May God keep you strong and bring you peace and joy!!
Love, kim
Thank you for your service to our country! God bless you. You are in my prayers. This country should be honored that you served for our freedom. Welcome home!
Anastasia & Matt
Steven, we are all so grateful for your service! You are a hero. Welcome home!!
Thank you, Steven, for making a sacrifice that only the most brave men and women make. Your service and recovery are an inspiration to me in my struggles.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you and welcome home!
Joy in Morgan Hill
Steven,
Thank you so much for your sacrifice and your dedication to this country so that Moms like me can feel safer about my children and that my freedom is being secured by young men and women like you. You are an inspiration and a blessing to this nation and I am so proud to call myself an American if America is what you stand for.
Welcome home and God bless you and your family!
Leah
I am so immensely appreciative of your bravery and choices that you have made. As a mother of two boys I know that what you have done may prevent them from having to make the same sacrifices. I am in awe of your determination to journey through recovery before going home to your family. You are a fine example young man, now give your family the chance to show you how much they care about you. My boys and I thank you.
Hi Steven:
I would like to offer a very heartfelt Thank You for all you have done. Your courage has made it possible for us to remain safe. Words can never express the gratitude for your service. May God bless you as you recover and begin your new path in life. I believe that you will succeed in anything you set out to do. You have a very determined spirit. Thank you again!!! Amy and family
Dear Steven,
I'm sure you now know about the post on Cathe's blog. The instant I saw your photos I was touched (the chills won't go away). It seems a bit strange to write to a stranger and wonder if he might understand just how sincerely I mean THANKS. Thank you doesn't seem to be enough but I do want to say it still.
Thank you.
Your pre-war motivation is insipring (finishing school early). America is free because of you and others.
Sincere thanks and welcome home,
Autumn, Ohio
Thank you Steven. You are my hero...we are right beside you all the way. God bless.
SEMPER FI BROTHER
Steven
Thankyou so much for being willing to 'sacrifice all' for the freedom we all enjoy in America. I am so glad you were not required to 'give all' during your service. You are a true hero. A man who puts his actions where his beliefs and words are. I am a mother of four boys. I am grateful to you for your wonderful example.
Best wishes with your recovery.
sincerely,
Laura
Post a Comment