Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Apothecary Label Hand Towels: Free Digital Downloads

Don’t you just love vintage apothecary anything?! I scanned a bunch of original vintage drug store labels today for us to play with. Click on the image of labels below to snag the free digital download and reduce, modify, use for collage, or for whatever you want to make (Just please don’t sell these images, they’re meant to be free.)These labels are perfect for printing out and adding to little old bottles. Scruff ’em up a bit to look even more authentic.But check this out- I found some really lush hand towels on sale at Kohl’s-and Michael’s Crafts is right next door, so I popped in and bought some inkjet printable cotton sheets. I printed the label graphics onto the cotton-trimmed out each label then removed the backing paper-
and machine stitched them onto the towels!Could that be any easier?!

And if you’re wondering how they will hold up in the wash, see my blog post HERE where I applied similar patches to a jean jacket. (I recommend against bleaching.)

94 comments:

Jenn Erickson said...

Cathe, three winning posts in a row. Always original, always brilliant! No wonder yours is one of my favorite blogs, EVER!

Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

Linking to this on my blog tomorrow (7.23.10) LOVE it!!!

Hearts Turned said...

How do you always come up with these amazingly fabulous ideas, Cathe?! This is just too cool! I can't wait to try it--thanks so much for sharing what you learn!

Julie

Joy said...

so unbelievably cool!!

Angela said...

Well aren't you the clever one!! They are great and very unique!

Patty B. said...

Excellent!!!

Cindy Peterson said...

Very cool - thanks for sharing! I live about an hour from the town some of your labels originated from - Roseburg, Oregon.

Gandhali said...

wooooooow. i am in awe.

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

I love these, thanks so much! And I really like them sewn to the towels.

Have a wonderful day,
Stephanie ♥

Tauni said...

Oh my goodness. I love these towels! What a creative idea! You're brilliant.

Xxx said...

This is brilliant! Thank you so much for these downloads. I am reading and following your blog for a long while already and just have to thank you for the input and ideas (and not download :-). I would feel honoured to welcome you on my own blog one day (http://www.neu4bauer.blogspot.com), where I also indulge myself in the love for old vintage fashion illustrations etc.

Have a lovely Friday!
Yours, Theresa

ShabbyChicShaz said...

I just love what you've applied these labels to, wonderful bottles and towels. Thank you so much for sharing your idea and labels, much appreciated :)

Elizabeth said...

Another fantastic idea! Those towels are beautiful...I want to run out and do this!

You are just amazing and you share too! xo

Norma Bennett said...

Thanks Kathy, they're wonderful! I really like the labels on the towels but as I'm about to start making some 'witch apothecary' mini bottles they're timely and perfect for me for a very different project :)

Alix said...

how wierd...i woke up this morning and thought *i'm going to decorate my towels today* and here...you have the perfect idea :0)

thanks for sharing!

Sara said...

Que monada!! me a gustado mucho, y ver con que gusto aplicas, las toallas hermosas, tus ideas geniales y las etiquetas antiguas preciosas.

L said...

Oh Cathy!Is there anything that you do that is not worth to copy?
Bravo bravo!!!

Veronica said...

Oh am I overjoyed I found your fabulous site! You are bubbling over with inspiration. Thanks so much for the inspiration and the download- definitely gonna use them!

Unknown said...

Wow! This is a fabulous idea! I love it.

avoxtar said...

Love, love, love this. Inkjet printable cotton sheets?? I had no idea. I'm going to have to take a day trip to the city and find some! Merci beaucoup for the inspiration!

Tanya Batrak said...

what a great idea!!! Thank you for labels! =)

XO

spindelmaker said...

These are great! Hope you don´t mind if I make a link to this post in august?

Geralyn Gray said...

You are constantly amazing me........I love your style and your ideas!!!!!

ohiofarmgirl said...

Oh... I love this...I am going to Hobby Lobby and see if they have that...which department??? Dianntha

judi said...

WOW! how cool is that?! as soon as i have a spare moment, this is next on my to do list...love this idea.
thanks cathe!

judi ;)

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Cahte, WHEN is one of the DIY channels EVER going to give you your own show????? ;)

You rock.

Ruth

Anonymous said...

I second the DIY show comment ... you are pretty crafty (in a good way), lol. I love your ideas.

Bargain Hunting Treasure Seeker said...

Very cool idea! Love the post!

Olivia said...

wow these are incredible! thank you so much for sharing these are brilliant! i have some sntique bottles and i think i may stick these labels on like you did :)

thank you again!

olivia
x

Jane said...

Fabulous idea. The towels look amazing! Thanks for sharing the labels with us.
Jane

Kathy said...

Oh, yeah. I LOVE this! You just have the BEST ideas. Thanks for the inspiration. - Kathy

JannaScraps said...

wow. LOVE> you're style rocks! Thanks for sharing!!!!

emily said...

These are great! I love all of your vintage downloads! I have some plain canvas bags that could use a little something, I'm going to try to make iron ons for them. I'll let you know how it works out!

Elizabeth Carls said...

I love this idea so much, so simple but brilliant. And thanks for the downloadable graphics.

Decomom said...

OMG! Love them!!! wow - gonna go do that today!!

Donna said...

Love it! Thank you so much for those graphics!

Gaia said...

Love these! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Scrapthat said...

Super cool! TFS!

Cathy said...

Really clever! And I love the apothecary labels! Thanks for sharing!

Alejandra Alcantara said...

You always share with us such awesome ideas and projects! You are so cool and creative!

June said...

What a wonderful touch...such creative ideas. You are an inpiration!

Lana Manis said...

Thank you for the fun graphics!
I'll have to get some of those printable sheets to make business tags for my pillows. I had always ironed fabric to freezer paper to run through my printer, but it wasn't washable.

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

You are the best! I think I can actually sew these myself. cool beans!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

P.S.- I'm stumbling this!

Unknown said...

These are amazing!
{Rebekah}

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [23 Jul 12:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

sasksak said...

Brilliant! And to share those ads! Sweetest thing ever! Thank you so much for your ideas and the print offs and other things you offer for free!

DogpackMOMMA said...

Really good looking & creative use of labels on the towels! Thanks for the label downloads - I will use them on my old bottles that I fill with homemade tinctures and oils.

House Elf said...

Love the towels!

Cassie said...

Absolutely awesome. Thank you for the labels. I think I need to go and look in my linen closet for some hand towels now. You are so clever!

Stephanie said...

So so so cool! What type of glue do you use to paste the labels on the glass bottles?

Charo said...

Wonderful!!!

Hugs
Charo

Cathe Holden said...

Blogger Stephanie said...

So so so cool! What type of glue do you use to paste the labels on the glass bottles?

.........
I use 3M All Purpose Spray Adhesive. But Mod Podge or most paper glues will work just fine.
.........

Sarah Greenman said...

Brilliant. Thanks so much for this awesome idea!

Annie Louise said...

Great blog--I became a follower. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas. Keep them coming :)
Jeanette

Katie Brown said...

Wow! So happy to have found your blog. These are too cool. Thanks so much for sharing!

glam.spoon said...

such a wonderful touch to add a vintage label to a towel. and thanks for the digital downloads!!

Unknown said...

love this!! i blogged about it :)

Michael Wurm Jr said...

you are amazing. nuf said.

I LOVE color! said...

Oh how clever! I love your creativity spirit. Be Blessed

O. said...

That is just genius!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea! Linked to it on my blog!

jninecostumes said...

These are so cool! Would love to make some of these.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

These labels are great. I have been shopping for bottles at Goodwill. I saw a great vinette for halloween with labels. Will you be putting some that we could use then?

Tamra said...

Seriously, YOU ROCK!!

Alejandra Alcantara said...

I read your post early this morning and left you a comment exactly at 7:03 am!! I was away on errands the whole day and I couldn't get this project out of my head. I kept thinking that tomorrow will be Saturday and I will be able to work on this project all day... woo hoooo!!!!!!

Lovely Little Nest said...

That is amazing!! What a neat little project! Thanks so much for sharing :)

Nori said...

LOVE IT! the timing of your post is crazy... i was just at office depot today looking at all of their fun printable stuff... window decals, cotton sheets, iron on sheets, etc and was trying to think of what i'd do with them... this is perfect! :o)

365 Dresses said...

Cathy, I love these!

Anonymous said...

You are a genius. I am so glad I stumbled across you. Thankyou!

VintageFeedsacks said...

What a great way to use vintage images! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

bonFlourish.blogspot.com said...

Love this, thank you! Especially the info on printable cotton sheets from Michaels. I had no idea!

PearlsAndGreenTea said...

These are fantastic!!!

http://pearlsandgreentea.blogspot.com/

Susie Jefferson said...

Fabulous! Love, love, love them!

I've put a headsup on my Freebies site. Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Great idea and the towel looks lovely! I have never tried inject cotton prints - how do they keep in the washing machine? Oh and thanks so much for the free downloads!

Amy M. said...

Love this idea, Cath! I can't wait to try it!!!

(Did you hit the Rivertown Revival this weekend? We really enjoyed it!)

-Amy
Crafting by Candlelight

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog and I'm DY-ING!! Everything is so cute and eclectic! I LOVE these hand towels and might INSIST my sister whip up a few (I don't sew) Also, I'm LOVING your work space - so cute! I'm thinking about linking your craft room to my "wish list" post, hope that's ok! Can't wait to come back and see what else you come up with!

FrumsGlass said...

Loving your blog. I'm becoming a follower. Thanks for sharing your great ideas. These apothecary label hand towels will make wonderful gifts for the pharmacists in my family.

Kim Sonksen said...

thank you so much for sharing these labels, they are fab!

Anonymous said...

Cathe, I have more vintage bottles around here than you can shake a stick at! I've done some labels on bottles before, but I like your examples and will borrow them for sure. I've never tried printing on cotton in an inkjet printer, but this post is really the push I need to give it a try. It does look easy......thanks so much as always for your brilliant craft ideas and instructions!

Lisa Madden Bass said...

Cathe,
These towels are just precious; you have such clever ideas! Thank you for sharing.

Lisa

Art by Trina said...

Thanks for these! You inspired me to used them a series of photos :) http://gallery32.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/keats-was-a-licensed-apothecary/

Apryl said...

love love love them! they look totally awesome! I really must get ahold of some printable cotton sheets for the printer.

Gaby Bee said...

These labels are gorgeous! What a fun idea! I love your towels!
Thanks for sharing!
Gaby xo

The Mom said...

I love this idea with bath towels!! I may have to try that to decorate my new bathroom!!! :) Love your blog, sorry to lurk and not post much but I do appreciate you blogging your ideas!!

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Well, these are just awesome!

Stefanie said...

I just used these labels for an organizing project! You can see it at my blog here:
http://morethanahouse.blogspot.com/2010/08/organizing-apothecary-medicine-storage.html

Thanks so much for the printable!!!!!!

Sarah said...

Dear Cathe, really love all the ideas in you blog. i'll try to make it although some tools seem hard to get in Taiwan. thank you anyway!

Kaggsy said...

These are quite wonderful, and I've just discovered and love your site - thanks!

You and Me~Shell said...

OMG, thank you so much! I love your blog and all of the freebee's. I am so in love. I just found you and will make you my first visited blog each day! Woot to you and thank you! :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

Now I'm going to have to learn how to sew a straight line. I must do this. Thank you :)

Kaleidoskopic Romance said...

Just linked to this in my blog. It's brilliant!

Janet said...

Awesome, those turned out adorable!

Bettina Groh said...

I just bought some small liquor bottles and these will be great for an idea I had! Thank you!