Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Burrito Booty-Load

When the problem is solved the solution is simple. (That’s my husband’s signature saying, I’ve heard it a gajillion times, and you know how things rub off.)

THE PROBLEM: Three insatiably hungry teenagers constantly on the prowl for snacks.

THE SOLUTION:
Sandy Coughlin, The Reluctant Entertainer’s brilliant burrito post on SC Johnson!


Sandy is a lifesaver. I took her super easy idea and changed it up just a bit by mixing in refried and pinto beans with the meat and cheese instead of rice. It made a nice thick goop for filling.And since I already had snack-size Ziploc bags in bulk, those worked great for bagging.
Now my freezer drawer is stocked just like Sandy’s and there was just enough funky junk (filling) left over to make some killer nachos today!

16 comments:

Robin. said...

awesome!

Michelle said...

Yum! That is a brilliant idea! For some reason I never trust the ones at the supermarket...

Sandy said...

Oh my goodness, girl. You are too fun! And look at that stash! I'm currently .... OUT right now! My kid's keep saying, where are the burritos? LOL.

Happy Mother's Day to you Cathe, and thanks for the linky love!

xo

Sandy said...

PS I like Michelle's comment! True!

needle and nest said...

My grandma used to come over with a bag of burrito-making supplies at the beginning of each summer. I'd spend an afternoon with her and my mom making a huge batch of burritos to freeze for summertime lunches and snacks. I have three brothers so they went quick! Thanks for stirring up a wonderful memory of my grandma, who passed away in October.

Marianne & Clayton said...

Oh wow. That is a beautiful sight. I believe I will be making some this week!

Roz said...

I love the idea! They look so tasty and easy, They're on my to do list. I agree with Michelle, I don't trust the store's.

bridget {bake at 350} said...

That is brilliant! My kiddo is getting to the point where pretzels for a snack aren't cutting it anymore...bring on the burritos!!!

And, after watching Food Inc. last night, you can bet I want to make them myself!!!

Brynn Marie said...

My uncle's girlfriend turned me on to burrito making a couple summers ago. She also uses her burrito method to use up a lot of her leftovers to freeze, certain things that you might not think would be good in a burrito are...like Sloppy Joe's...seriously I know it doesn't sound good but they are yummy...you just have to make sure to label them :)

Another thing she taught me (and I very well may have been the only one who didn't know this) is to have a bowl handy with a water & flour mixture. It works as a "glue" when you are wrapping your burritos.

mary beth said...

This is such a great idea for a family on the go...I am putting this on my list of things to get done next week.Thanks for sharing with us!

Three Owls said...

I'm all about stocking the freezer with go to stuff... this is brilliant. Thanks.

Fleurette said...

Gosh! this is a brilliant idea, thanks for sharing, teenage boys always hungry!

Jen said...

Yeah! I love this idea! Gonna try it this week. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Love this idea, quick, easy tasty snack

Amy said...

This is a great idea! May I ask - do you reheat in the microwave? If so, how long? Thanks!

Cathe Holden said...

Hi Amy, Sandy writes one minute in her blog post, but for us it's one minute for two burritos,(they're smaller, so two is a meal,) flip and cook one more minute. Let set a couple more minutes then eat. Deee-lish!