I’ve never really done a full-on collage before, well, not what I would consider a collage. I guess because I’ve always felt a bit lost on how and where to start. My puzzled mind: What would I collage? Should it be personal? Just decorative? The pressure! And then I would move on to some other project, leaving collage art to those for whom it came more natural.
But since diving into Scraps, I couldn’t help but be inspired, all my questions answered, ideas flooding in. I have other books on collage, as I’ve always loved collage art, but never have I been more motivated to create one than after spending time with this book. Scraps is both a non-intimidating guide for beginners as well as a good shot in the arm for experienced collage and assemblage artists.So, today, I gathered my goods and created my first real collage. After getting to a certain point I stopped and photographed it blank, then later digitally added text to the image. Click to enlarge.
My final piece is a gift to my sister, Jennifer. We have been through so much together over the last few years, and now as lone siblings from the sudden loss of our brothers and sister, I thought it would be a beautiful gift of hope -for both of us, as I couldn’t help but be blessed while making it.
Grab the blank image, embellish and create something nice for youself or someone else if you’d like.


31 comments:
What you have made is so beautiful and meaningful. I'm sure your sister would love it. have a good weekend.
What a beautiful gift. Your sister will love it, I'm sure.
Melinda
Cathe, I know you have been through a terribly sad time. I am so glad you have your sister in your life. Wonderful gift to her, she will love it. And your first attempt at collage??? It's amazing. Anything you do inspires me. I love it, and she will, too.
I love collage,too but have never tried. Yours looks like you've been doing it forever.Hope things are getting better and you are able to find some joy this season
Wow I would have never guessed that to be your first collage! Great job
you need to check out my friend Michelle's stuff: www.michellecaplan.com
She does amazing large scale collages using photos, documents, text, maps, etc. They are amazing and inspiring!
Hope you are well! Happy holidays to you guys!
xo
Great collage, Cathe!
Love your collage and I bet your sisterdoes also. I just got this book also and it is a really good one.
What a wonderful gift to give, and to receive :)
Sounds like a great book. Wonderful piece you've made
Cathe, I can't imagine losing 2 siblings at the same time...it must be devestating for your parents as well.
I have lost one child..and I know how hard that was. I'm so sorry.
I have just recently joined your blog and am just AMAZED at your talent and your generosity...with your graphics and all those goodies.
I am especially intrigued with your header..I so love that Graphic C H text in the middle of it...do you have those alpha's available anywhere on your blog?
Thank you,
Rose
http://delightfulclutter.blogspot.com/
OPPS...I just saw where they were available...but they are out of my price range I'm afraid.
I will just admire from afar !!
Rose ( VictorianRose )
http://delightfulclutter.blogspot.com/
What a beautiful collage with it's message of hope that you made for your sister. I'm sure it will mean a lot to her, since it was handmade with love.
Wonderful design, creating is a great thing to be able to do when you are going through such difficult times. I like how you personalised it with scriptures. Thought you and your sister might take comfort in Rev.21:3.4, I don't want to be preachie as it is very personal. I find it to be comforting. I am sure your sister will love all the personal touches you have put ito this design. Thank you for sharing.
Carol F. :)
You are so talented and generous with your creativity. Thank you for always sharing :)
No need for me to tell the Rock Star of Graphic Creations how heartfelt handmade gifts are....but they are. It's how my siblings, me and my children were raised too. I can feel the love you and your sister share from here! (That's pretty good because it's at least 3000 miles!)
How beautiful and spectacular for a first effort! I have a box of collage bits I've been saving forever but have never used, being more structured and generally fearful than I feel like collage lets you be. Anyway, just wanted to delurk to let you know you have inspired me to give it a try. And, I think I'll buy the book too, based on your lovely reocmmendation.
Your creation is lovely. I've just recently ventured into collage, so I greatly appreciate this book tip. Thanks!
I love it, what a wonderful piece!
Beautiful work, it does look like you've been making them for years. Hope and Love to you and your sister and your families for this Holiday.
This is so beautiful Cathe, you are a natural at it!! What a wonderful gift for your sister. I really admire how you are able to channel your grief into your art, and create something beautiful and positive. You truly are an amazing person!
I'm going to pop over to Amazon and get this book, I have an Amazon gift certificate that I've been waiting to spend so this will be perfect!
what an inspiration you are! i know your sister will love this. and i am very sorry for your recent loss. it is heartbreaking.
I was first introduced to collages in elementary school probably like most kids. My mother still has that collage of a bird on wood on her living room wall and it is still beautiful. I've always loved collages and I incorporate a lot of collages into my artwork.
what a wonderful gift, you did an lovely job on your first official collage
Thanks for the tip about Scraps. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy!
What a wonderful gift. And what wonderful sisters you both must be.
I used to scrapbook when I was younger and I just don't have the time for it anymore, but this is so pretty, I do love it!
Happy holidays!
Christine
This is the first time I'm visiting your blog. You have such wonderful ideas. Thank you for sharing.
Mira
Thanks so much for the tip on the book. I ordered it immediately!
I had seen it in Barnes and Noble and was waffling on it until I read your post.
Smiles~
Marilyn
Thank you so much for this :-)
And thank you for visiting, so I could visit you back. You make absolutely amazing creations. And your monograms are gorgeous.
I'll add you to my list right away :-)
Thanks again.
I love your gift of hope that you made for your sister. I am new to blogging but enjoyed reading through your blog this morning. You are so talented. I am in awe.
Happy New Year!
Deborah
Post a Comment