I used a satin black spray paint to cover the entire piece, sanding with a very fine sandpaper between coats and let dry well.
With basic craft acrylic paint I painted a cream color into the grooves and wiped with a moist rag as I went to remove the overpainting.
I painted the crest with a few coats of apple green acrylic paint to match my kitchen wall and used metalic craft paint in silver for the letter H and the crown to coordinate with the stainless steel appliances. I didn’t think the cream color around the crown looked great so I went back and painted black into the areas around it and the initial.
I finished the sign with a light spray coat of satin varnish and hung above our wood stove.
The cool thing is that if my decor colors change, I can easily repaint my sign to match! This is now an official Holden family heirloom.
And now it’s time for a fantastic giveaway!
Jack Qiao of Carveit.ca will make and send a custom wood sign to two JSIM blog readers! The winners will have the choice of either designing one sign each (up to 10" x 18") themselves on his easy to navigate website, or I will create for them a custom sign design similar to mine, but with their family name or choice of wording to send to Jack for carving. The winner will have the option of receiving their sign bare to custom paint themselves or have it finished in one of the many finishes that Carveit.ca offers.In order to enter, please be willing to share a photo of yourself with your sign once it’s finished for Jack to put on his website. If that sounds OK to you, please leave a comment on THIS post. I’d love to hear your fantastic ideas for using Carveit.ca’s services, but a simple “enter me” will do just fine! Be sure your comment leads me to a way to contact you if you win or simply leave your email address. Good luck!
ENTRY DEADLINE IS SUNDAY, OCTOBER 11 AT NOON. (California time.)
The winners will be announced on Monday, October 12.
Remember Carveit.ca for wedding gifts, holiday gifts, fundraisers, custom home decor and more!
Bonus: Jack is offering 10% rebate on all JSIM readers’ orders if you send a photo of yourself and your sign for use on his website. To claim the rebate, just reply to the order confirmation email with your photo once you receive your sign.
THIS GIVEWAY IS NOW CLOSED TO ENTRIES AT ENTRY NO. 254

252 comments:
1 – 200 of 252 Newer› Newest»I recently got hooked to your blog by a friend and I really wanted to say you've rekindled my love for graphic design. Honestly I've been in a design rut lately but seeing all the awesomeness that is your blog has inspired me. Thank you! I'd love enter the contest my e-mail is jstyle4you@hotmail.com
I would love to win this! It looks simply amazing!
P.S. Your blog is so beautiful and inspiring!
Enter meeeeeeeee~ enter meeeeeeeee.... twice!
Cheryl over at http://cheryl-comfort.blogspot.com/
speechless. It is beyond gorgeous. his carving is extravagant and your design is flawless. love how you finished it. It would have a very, very happy home here. pictures and all.
Enter me! I think this looks like a lot of fun and could be the inspiration to begin anew.
BEAUTIFUL- please enter me!
I'm speechless. Your sign is absolutely gorgeous! My husband and I got married this June and will be closing on our first place later this month. A name plaque would be the perfect way to establish the new nest as our own!
You are one creative lady! Your blog is beautiful and the you have inspired me in countless ways. Thank you dearly!
Please consider this my entry as well for the lovely gift prize!
Keep up the great work!
The sign is beautiful! I would love to win. Thanks for the opportunity!
Awesome!! Sign me up:-) Thanks.
Enter me too, please! I love your blog and you did an amazing job on your plaque; thanks for the great ideas!
These are awesome! Enter me please :)
I'm always in awe of your creativity but I think this one tops it all! It's gorgeous and an heirloom for sure!
I would love to have a sign for my sewing/decor business!
I love your blog. Thanks for all the inspiration.
http://farmhouseaccessories.blogspot.com/
Oh, I've been waiting for this post! That sign is gorgeous, I'd love to win one!
How beautiful! We became a family of 3 recently and I'd love a sign for our family!
oh man, this is so awesome!!! So many options for this piece!!! Crossing my fingers & toes!
This sign is beautiful! What a neat idea!
Love your blog...love the sign...even if I don't win I will be back again and again...but secretly... I hope I win. Don't enter too many of these....never won one...
warm wishes,
KAREN EILEEN
I would love one of those signs. We became a family of 4 a little over a year ago, but due to hospitalizations with our son, haven't ever gotten anything like a sign to symbolize it.
Your sign turned out beautifully! I'd love to get a sign for our family made since my grandparents were the only ones with our name in the country. Their daughters changed their names when they got married, their son had two girls, one of whom has already changed her name, and the last one left is me - and even if I keep it, I don't want my children to have hyphenated names. That would encourage them to give their children hyphenated names and I couldn't take it if, in the hyphenating madness, my name got dropped.... That was an overly complicated answer...
I have been looking for the "right" sign for our family name & crest. This looks incredible - I'd love to win my "dream sign." Thanks for hosting the giveaway! It is always such a pleasure to stop in & browse your blog - you are one of the most creative people I've found online.
What a great giveaway!! You are so sweet to share this with us! Hope I win ..it would look so great on our new home!
LOVE this idea! Please pick me?! martha@barretblake dot com.
WOW... You're amazing! I read your original post and have been busily "playing" with designing signs. I'd also like to mention my family's "EST" date is exactly the same as yours! TOO COOL... now if I could only win a sign and have it designed by you... one can only hope! Keep up the great blog, it's a pleasure to read!
What a gorgeous sign! Wow. Speechless about how beautiful it is, really. I would love to have one for our family. We are an Army family, and we move a lot. There are a few things that stay the same, but many that change. This would be one beautiful thing that would make each house feel like home.
I love how the sign turned out. The painting is gorgeous and the carving makes it. I would love to win!
yay! i'd love a sign, but i don't know if i'm talented enough to create my own design...
Love it!
sarah.n.priest@gmail.com
I love this sign...it would look so pretty when we get our new house next summer.... but i would be willing to snap a photo at our present house for the website...
What an amazing giveaway. Thanks!
What a great thing! I think it would be great to do one with house numbers and the family name or something like that. I really need some new house numbers!!!!
WOW - that sign was nothing short of amazing before you painted it - now it is spectacular!! I'd love an opportunity to feature a crest with our family on our blog!
This is beautiful. I've been wanting to find something unique with our family's name. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I would love to enter, not for me but for my cousin who's getting married this year - I think it would be a great piece for them to put in their new home
Hmmm... I want to say something really creative, so I'm going to say that I'd love to have a sign carved into an interesting found or abandoned piece of wood or other fine-looking material for an organization I'm starting called Austin Creative Reuse, which is a reuse resource center for artists and other creators and makers to use the scraps and cast offs of our community to create new and beautiful things.... though truthfully I am torn between that and just a fine-lookin' sign for my family... because it does look SO cotton pickin' awesome... what amazing work this fella does! Enter me, please, for sure! My email is kwilt@hotmail.com
I absolutely want a family sign! I hope I win...
waldoswife at gmail.
I have been reading your blog for quite a while and love every single piece you design and create.
The wooden sign is amazing and gorgeous. It looks traditional on one hand but also very contemporary on the other hand. Love it!
How generous on your part, and on the sign company's part. I love the sign, it looks gorgeous. I would put one over our front door if we win. I am also willing to provide a victory shot of us under our new sign. :)
katie at dekabyte dot com
I'm not sure I've ever wanted to win a giveaway as much as I want to win this one! Your sign is gorgeous--Jack does amazing work, and the colors you chose are perfect. I would be happy to send a photo of myself with my sign should I win. :)
Oh please, enter me!
Please enter me....I LOVE IT!!!!
I would love to win a sign with our family name. We are Irish, so something Irish incorporated along with the name would be ideal.
Love the sign! I'd love to do a family name sign or a house numbers sign. The carveit.ca website is fabulous!
Thanks for the chance......
Gorgeous!! Please enter me! I'll probably give it to my best friend who is getting married next June!!
I would absolutely love this. I've been coming up with ideas since your original post the other day and have already perused his site many times. My family would love this!
This is so cool! Your finished product looks awesome.
Your plaque turned out really lovely! I know just the spot where I would (and will, even if I don't win!) hang my plaque!
What a great idea! Family pride...that's what more people need.
Oh! I would so love to win this! It is an amazing giveaway! Please count me in! I love your blog and enjoy being "inspired". Thanks for your great ideas!
***smiles***
Carol
I love this beautiful sign!
Enter Me! Enter Me Puh-lease!!!
Ever since seeing a version on Tori & Dean I've wanted a sign that said
"Campbell Baby Farm Est. August 2008"
I absolutely would love to have a sign like this and think it would look fantastic above our fireplace with our other items of special meaning.
I'd LOVE this... and I would be MOST willing to blog about it!!
Thank you for hosting this!
God bless-
Amanda
His signs are wonderful! I've always wanted a sign for our house that says something about the year it was built, 1883. Great giveaway!
Hi Cathe! I would love to see that carving with my family's name by my front door. Please enter me. Thanks, Sally
I ADORE what you did. Gorgeous. Amazing. Not enough words to say how much I love it.
If I had my say, I'd do a family crest- with mine and my husbands side linked together.
Anything you want if I win- pictures, my firstborn, etc, etc. jk (about the firstborn anyway).
Thanks!
I would love to be entered:) My husband is currently unemployed, and as much as I would love to keep it for myself, I might make a Christmas gift out of it for my parents or in-laws. It would be much loved! Thanks!
Yes, please enter me in the giveaway. This would be wonderful to have for our 10 year anniversary this year!
Thanks---
Melinda
Please enter me also--I would love to have a custom name plaque! Their site is great!
www.jillruth.blogspot.com
that sign is stunning! i would love to win one of my own! great job!
Those signs are just beautiful! I am bookmarking his site for future use just in case I don't win! Thanks for the giveaway! :)
Love your blog, It's one of my favorites. Your sign came out beautiful. Would love to win. Blessings..Sherry
OHHH, enter me please! This looks very fun.
Chelsea
I love your family crest! I would love to have something similiar to hang above our fireplace, or in our front entry.
I like to join the contest.
By the way your blog is wonderful!!!
/Tezz
Excellent! Please enter me!
Wow, beautiful! Enter me! :) Thanks!
Dee
...enter me!
Love that sign. Love your blog. Would love to win!
What a beautiful heirloom to pass down to family members. Our family would love this family sign anywhere in our home. We have 3 boys to carry on the 'name'! What beautiful artwork!
Linda
Hi Cathe!! This sign is so pretty. It would look perfect in my new house!! Please enter me!
~Carima
I am so impressed the entire project from start to finish is amazing. Would so love one of my own...enter me please! -kb
Your sign turned out fantastic!I'd love to win one!
Carla
cddewing@hotmail.com
Enter me too! Love your blog, Cathe. I admire your works very, very much.
Oh, Cathe! That looks SPECTACULAR! I'm soooooooo in love with these pieces! I'm pretty sure I could narrow it down to about 100 ideas!!!! hee hee What a fabulous resource, to know that there is a craftsman who does work like this! Him and you/ you and him ~ and the two o youds! FANTASTIC!
Wow, what a fantastic opportunity, please enter me! I like the idea of getting my logo made into a sign and using it for shows.
It's always so inspirational to come over here. Cheers!
Roxana(at)IlluminatedPerfume(dot)com
did I mention I really, really want to win!
i just got married and a sign like that would be just the thing to showcase my new name!
Beautiful sign! I love the design and the carving is mind blowing.
My husband and i have lived 5 places in two countries in the past 2 years and it seems like we may be on track to continue the trend. A sign like this would be perfect to make where ever we end up next home right from the start.
stasigh at gmail
Pick me!! Me!! You know, when I went over to the website the day you first posted, there were only two sign shapes from which to choose - neither was an oval. I was very disappointed!! :(
Your sign is just gorgeous and I was sitting here thinking how neat you got the white trim. Then I read your post and saw how you did it. Very clever, see now I would have struggled with a fine tipped brush and ended up with a wobbly line. I like the way you think, yes indeed ;)
I would love to enter your giveaway - thank you for the chance. I'll linky to it in my sidebar too.
PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME PICK ME
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OOH OOH yes please!
Your sign is beautiful! I admit, I spent a happy afternoon playing on the carveit site, although yours is nicer than anything I could come up with myself.
I can only dream to make something as awesome as you do, Cathy! I sure would love to give it a try!
enter me!
You did a beautiful job with it! I would love one of those "enter me" please :) Hope all is well!
Enter me- we're moving at the end of November to another state- 600 miles away!! A beautiful new sign would look lovely in the house, and be a salve to my frayed nerves.
oh...i have been reading your blog for a while...i cannot pass this up! what a wonderful artist and a creative idea....love it. i would love to own one of these...:)
Your sign is beautiful, would love to win one. Just found your blog so will do some reading in it!
I have the perfect place to hang one of these signs! Please enter me!!
Ever since we got our French Bulldog, Jack, I've wanted a carved wooden sign that read "Regardez le chien" (essentially beward of dog in French). This seems like it may be the perfect opportunity! Enter Me!
j.lucas.herman@gmail.com
Cathe,
Your new sign is beautiful! Great job with the painting. I'd love to win one for our home. Thanks for including me in your drawing.
Karen H
mama2gems [at] gmail [dot] com
Oh Please Let Me Win! But even if I don't, I have a feeling I'll be buying one of these anyway!
emailsamanthalee@aol.com
Pick me,pick me. I see orders from my family when they see mine!
Wow! These signs are beautiful! LOVE them!
Kathy
myflsun@hotmail.com
In case I am the lucky winner, I'd hang such a sign in my bedroom which I am currently revamping! My wood bed will also have such stenciling burned into it by me. I hope it will come out as beautifully as yours! Be sure to enter me, please! Cheers, Julie
What a totally cool business he has! I love what you did with your sign! Thanks for the opportunity to win one!
Tracey I.
jtjireland@cox.net
Very awesome sign!
Enter me! I would love one of these signs!
gorgeous sign, I love it!
What a beautiful sign! please enter me! :)
justanotheranna@gmail.com
So cool! Sign me up!
I love your blog and check in regularly. I'm delighted your offering this giveaway because teh sign is just wonderful. Contact at whistlerfamily@wowway.com
My husband has lost his job and he and my son are attempting to start their own business. This sign would be perfect for them!!!
Sherri
coutch6@myfairpoint.net
How STINKIN' cool....i would SOOO love to win this! love it love it love it!
I love this! It is so cute and so perfect! You have continually impressed me with your graphic designs and decor!
Oh! Enter me! How lovely! I'm getting married next year and it would be great to incorporate this into the wedding!
This would be PERFECT for our brand new homw in Texas. Enter me, please!
Deseree
dprobasco@consolidated.net
Enter Me! I would make a family 'crest' to go in our house.
allison.laney.harris@gmail.com
I love your new family "crest"! I think I'd like to do the same. What a great product.
~Erica
www.zunkychic.com
Absolutely amazing! I would love a family sign for my home.
I found your blog this weekend and I am no officially hooked! You're very creative and I hope some of that rubs off on me.
I would love to have this sign! We've been remodeling our home for 20+ years and I think, when we finish the front porch, this would be perfect for it. I know, 20+ years? Well the thing is over 100 years old and we cut off the roof and cut the house in half down the main hall and moved it 30 miles to our homesite. Since then, we've been doing the work ourselves. I have sure learned to do alot of things I never dreamed of before. Anyway, I would just love to have this sign. It's absolutely beautiful!
I have been looking for a good family name sign. I am going to check out the website right now.
i think i may have to take your advice and order these for some friends that have weddings coming up!
Just got married in June, be nice to have something to kick start the family :)
Sign me up!
That is awesome! I would love one!
Love it! Enter me please!
the black and white contrast made your sign even more appealing.
love you blog!
;)
I am absolutely in love with this sign. Wouldn't it be a great shower or wedding gift or housewarming gift? Better yet, I'd like it for myself.
I would love to win this.
Perfect! Christmas gifts AND a marker for our beloved Sadie (family dog) that passed away last year. Oh, the possibilities...
nieko@empacc.net
I love your sign...especially the colors...have black furnture everywhere in our home and that green is the accent color in our masterbedroom. I also like your design w'the crown and monogram. I'd like something a little different with the word "established" because when we got married my husband took my maiden name because he wanted my boys (who also had my maiden name)to feel unified as a "blended" family. So need your help on a new word...perhaps that would work...The Philbrick's...Blended 1995...what do ya think? Or is my family the only blended one...I'm sure this is a need that needs to be met for master sign people...lol
What a beautiful sign! I would love to enter to win one!
ME ME ME ME
sign me up please!! ;) these are so cute!
What a gorgeous sign! Please enter me! I would love a sign like this for my front porch...or maybe in my kitchen.
So cool!! Love your new sign! I need one for my house now ;-)
The sign turned out beautifully. I've been wanting to create a sign like this, but do not have the time to do it. It would be wonderful to have one made as wonderful as yours! Thanks for the opportunity!
lfarmer@belhaven.edu
Awesome! I love how your sign turned out.
I love your sign...Awesome!
Enter me!
the2brownsmake3@aol.com
Love the sign!! Enter me, pretty please?
Oh yes, enter me to win. I would love to have a sign made for the nursery of my baby grandaughter, Lilly Paige due January 15th.
LOVE the sign! Thanks for the chance to win.
=) melanie
http://melaniescrafts.blogspot.com
melanieadey at hotmail dot com
Oh my goodness! I loved your sign in its 'raw' form, and I love it even more now! Enter me please!
What a neat Christmas gift this would make! ENTER ME!!!!
I love your sign, and I love where you put it.
Oh that sign is amazing! I would be glad to take a picture with a winning sign!
Count me in!
I would absolutely love to have a sign both for my home with our Monogram, or for my business, to hang up at craft shows! I'm a jewelry-maker, and when I was looking around (for quite a long while) on Jack's site, I saw that he offers a silhouette shaped sign that reminds me of a cameo, which would be perfect to represent my vintage-inspired jewelry! I think this is one of the coolest ideas ever. Thanks for offering the giveaway, Jack and Cathe!
--Sarah
sarahetimmons@gmail.com
What beautiful signage, and what a wonderful giveaway! If I were to win, I think I would design a sign to use for my business to take to shows! What a classy statement these signs make!
Anna
www.annasplaceofholding.blogspot.com
anna.pamprdchef@gmail.com
I played around on the carveit.ca site. Very fun! Please enter me.
Oh, how beautiful! Pick me! Pick me!
If i win, I will be all selfish and have it designed for J and my wedding next May :)Probably to be displayed at the reception somewhere, and then to grace a wall of our home afterward.
...Or maybe I will feel all
auntie-ish and have it made up for my little niece or nephew due to arrive in fresh air sometime in decemeber.
http://capriciousscrawl.blogspot.com/
Thank you, thank you, thank you...
WOW! That's great work!
I would be happy to volunteer my modeling and hubby's photography service in order to help promote Carveit!
I checked out the site and there are so many great options. I'm going to be considering exactly what I'd like from now until I win ;)
Lovely! Please enter me. I would put it just inside my front door by the mirror in my entry. :)
Cathe, it turned out so gorgeous!!!! I would LOVE to be entered into this contest.....what beautiful handiwork ~ my email is: sewmanyroses@yahoo.com ~ thanks so much!! xxoo, Dawn
I liked your sign before, but now I love it with the painting you did. I never would have thought to make the background black. Looks fab! Please, enter me in your giveaway, I'd love to have a sign for my family and I promise I would send photos.
I'd love this on my front porch!
Pick me pick meeee! :) I do so love the stuff on your site.
I love these custom signs... I can see one with a favorite quote being just the thing. His site is great!
Oh that is a lovely sign. I can just see those for businesses as well. Love your blog!
Angie
Enter me please! I love this as an idea for an anniversary gift.
Ooooh, I have been coveting yours since you first blogged it. Yes please, I would gladly share a photo of it in my home if I won!
My husband and I just got married recently and would love a sign to commemorate our new "family!" Thanks for the givaway Cathe!! orange.rose27@gmail.com
LOVE IT- usually do :)
My new family would love love love to have our own sign just like yours- enter us too!
xoxo
Jill
I would LOVE to win a beautiful sign! I would also love some help with the design part if I am so lucky as to WIN one of these heirlooms! Thank you~ Erin... eringlee (at) sbcglobal.net
Pick me! Pick me!
That is a work of art , it's quite beautiful. I would love to hang this in my home .
enter me! (please!)
your sign looks gorgeous!
Ah! So wonderful! This is a joyful little giveaway! Cute that they want "action pics".
how unique!
Wow...you're family crest sign looks TOTALLY AWESOME!
What a fantastic giveaway, too.
Please enter me? I would love to have one that says "The Gazebo House"
I have always wanted a Thomas Family sign but never saw anything I loved - till now! Please enter me!
I would love this!
I love it and I want it!
dkfranklin1 at yahoo dot com
WOW!!! That is a beautiful sign... you can be so proud to display that! I love it!!!
Enter me please! :)
never seen anything like this leave it to you!
I am in Europe .. Can I too? Pleaseeee :)
oh yes! i had a clock like this and it just fell and broke! enter me!
Love it! Our last name is Italian and rather poetic so an engraved plaque would be fantastic! Thanks!
ps - just getting a blog off the ground so nothing posted yet.
These are beautiful! I would have one made with the logo that we used for all our wedding materials many, many years ago. It was a little heart with wings and our names underneath.
Yes! Enter us, please. :) We are about to close on the house my husband has wanted since he was litle. It is going to be a major renovation project (the last owners were Amish and they tore every modern convenience out of the house)and it would be so cool to have a beautiful sign to hang over our doorway. You can find me at my blog LunasBaublebilities.blogspt.com
Love your blog. So many wonderful ideas and this sign is just beautiful. Enter Me!
dandWhat an incredible give-away! Love your blog and all the wonderful ideas you share. You inspire me everyday. Nan
nan.lager@gmail.com
Your sign looks fantastic! I'd love to win one. I'd use my logo
and make a new business sign.
I would absolutely love to win one of these beautiful custom signs. I'm pretty sure there's a cabin by a lake somewhere where this would sit nicely by the entry to a new home of mine in the future... What a generous giveaway, thanks very much! And of course I would be willing to pose for a photo :)
Since I can't think of anything more clever to say . . .
. . . please enter me!
Thank you.
I am so excited about this one! What an awesome idea!!! Yours is beautiful! Thanks for the chance!!!!
I would love to pose for the picture....OK, maybe I'll make my kids pose! :0)
I love the family sign! We are about to buy our first home I would LOVE to proudly display the sign for all to see!;-) Enter me Pretty Please!!;-)
xoxo
Gigi
paintingapples@gmail.com
Oh, what a gorgeous sign and giveaway! I would love this as a present for my daughter,actually! It's just her style! Suzie
Oh wow- it looks fabulous- please enter me!!
Enter me PLEASE! uffda_68787@yahoo.com
Just found your blog and I love it! Would so appreciate being entered into the drawing/contest ~
email is txfunladi@sbcglobal.net
Lots of inspiration here...now I need to get busy!
Im loving the wood signs! I would probably do my last name as well, maybe with an owl or some birds.
Love your blog. Please enter me.
Jack does such beautiful work. What a nice prize! Always enjoy visiting your blog. Thanks for the inspiration.
I have so many ideas! What a great giveaway! Please enter me - what a hoot if I won. :)
Becca{at}TheGreatMediocre.com
I would treasure one of these signs. Please enter me!
These are great... enter me!
Your sign turned out beautifully! I would love to win one - thank you for the giveaway :-)
(gabelandgabel.blogspot.com)
I was wondering about putting the last name and then all of the kids' names, or all of the grandkids' names. A treasure for an anniversary gift? Just a thought.
Thanks for the giveaway!
paula dot gonzales at gmail dot com
I so hope this giveaway is open to us Aussies Down Under. If so, I would LOVE to be in the draw. Thanks. Michelle
I WOULD be willing to take a photo of my family with the sign if I win. Please enter me. dpierce2007[at]comcast[dot]net.
What a beautiful wedding gift! I think I might even need to get a few for Christmas gifts this year as well.
That black paint looks so crisp! I would love to give this as a gift to my husband's oldest sibling, to pass down to his kids (and then buy one for us)!
Love how your sign turned out! Would love to paint one myself :-)
Thank you for sharing all of your ideas on your blog - I have fun looking at them even when I don't have the time to make something myself. :-)
survey[at]peters2japan[dot]com
It's a shot in the dark, but I'd love to win! Please enter me!
Your sign is absolutely gorgeous! I would love to have one! ceustace@mail.com
What a great job you did on your family sign! Lovely.
My husband and I have had a name picked out for our home for a long time...and this would be the perfect thing. Thanks for the chance.
Post a Comment