Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

Cake Wrecks Book Giveaway!

Tell me you’ve heard of the Cake Wrecks blog. I know you have. If by some slim chance you haven’t, well, you’re in for quite a show. I can’t remember how I found Cake Wrecks, but I get the biggest kick out of not only the real damage a professional “cake decorator” can do to a perfectly well-baked cake -but the writing of the author, Jen Yates, completely kills me. She takes sarcasm to a whole new level. One of the best things about her blog is that, as adult humor as it can be, it is still always appropriate enough for my kids to read. (And, if you follow Jen enough, you’ll soon learn the fine art of using quotation marks.)
Now she’s got a book. The second I read on her blog that it was coming out, I was ready to run out and buy it. Then we saw that Jen was doing a book signing in our sweet little rivertown of Petaluma! What are the odds?So, Saturday, Sarah and I took a drive into town to the Copperfield’s Books for the big signing. I have to say, this may be the best book signing I ever attend. Jen and her husband, John, lit up the crowd, a performance complete with slide show. I say, big deal on the blog and the book, these two have a future in late night stand-up. What a couple, what a show. We had a blast. (Ok, you know what I mean, of course the blog and the book are a big deal, I was just emphasizing.) Jeff and I had company Saturday night and this book was a major hit for my blog-challenged dinner guests! It’s beyond hysterical.Jen signed some books for us and was even generous enough to share one with you. So let’s get this giveaway on! Leave a comment, cake related, and I’ll pick a winner on Tuesday, October 6. Then my people will get in touch with Jen’s people and the winner will get a free Cake Wrecks book! (I really don’t have people, but she really does.)

Be sure there’s a way I can contact you by email either by your blog link or put your email address in the comment.

THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED @ ENTRY NO.139

There’s been an awful turn of events for Jen and John during their tour, please keep them in your prayers. More information is {HERE}

138 comments:

Angie said...

That cake in the photo gives me nightmares just to think about! I suppose my worst cake-related disaster was dropping a full sheet cake from the bakery upside down. It flipped 180 degrees on the way down. I was only a kid, and it was my brother's birthday, but I still feel awful. Such a beautiful cake!

Chedder Fish said...

I work for a photographer so I get to look at wedding cakes (some wrecks!) all day.

I love Jen's blog. I've been reading it since last December when an aunt shared it with me. I am hoping to check out the signing when they come near me next Tuesday!


(BTW- Monday is October 5)

JEWEL said...

The worst cake wreck I had involved a store bought Smurf with plenty of blue frosting! My Mom was taking the cake from the counter to the table all ready to sing Happy Birthday when it fell. I had the imprint (in blue) on my dining room carpet for a long time.

I would love to win!

LindaSonia said...

I never met a cake I didn't like!! LindaSonia (baddabinda@yahoo.com)

Katie said...

I'm not a big cake person myself. I mean I LIKE them, but I prefer ice cream, hands down. :) And cheesecake. But I "love" Cake Wrecks. ;) My husband alerted me to her blog, and one day when I wasn't feeling well I pretty much went back to day one and read all of her posts, and cried myself dry, I was laughing so hard. I love this chance to win one of her books, "thank you so much" for the kind offer!

katie at dekabyte dot com

cindy said...

I'm going to have to also say that it is pretty rare for me to find a cake I don't like. ;)
I have been a loyal reader of cake wrecks for quite sometime and I'm so excited to hear about this giveaway! :D

Kelly McMaster said...

How hilarious! I had not yet discovered Cake Wreaks so I will now add her to my daily obsession. I think life has handed me a big injustice....I have never really witnessed nor had my own cake disaster! Now watch it happen the very next time I'm around a cake! LOL1
Thanks for sharing!
Kelly
mcmasterk@aol.com

Ewin said...

I make cakes and have experienced a few cake wrecks myself! I have been a follower of cakewrecks for a LONG time!

Tattered Vintage said...

I stumbled upon cake wrecks not too long ago and it is so funny! Some of the wedding cake disasters are insane! My biggest cake wreck was when I tried to make cupcakes with a "pile" of swirled icing on top for my daughters birthday...what a disaster, the icing looked like a pile alright!

My email address is tatteredvintage@gmail.com and my blog address is http://tatteredvintage.blogspot.com/

Jingle Belle said...

I once baked and decorated a Barbie cake for my daughter's pre-school class for her birthday. As I was carrying it out to the car, the wind blew the cake out of my hands. Surprisingly it land cakeboard side down. I picked it up, the wind took it again...face down this time. I ended up buying a cake.

I'm an absolute fan of Cake Wrecks. It's the first thing I check in the morning when I go to work.

Linh C. said...

These cakes are so funny!

chinlai@bellsouth.net

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

I actually sent Cake Wrecks a link to a disaster cake once, and she used it--and I understand it's in her book! And one of my cake memories (I've been baking cakes for over 50 years, and that is a scary thought!) was making a chocolate mayonaise cake. Don't laugh, they were quite popular once upon a time!

Aimee said...

The only cake I "bake" now is Cathe's fabulous icecream cookie cake. All other cakes are pretenders.

Becky said...

Whenever I need a good laugh I read Cake Wrecks, which is of course, everyday!! Love her blog and yours! This is a neat giveaway, you are very generous!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I used to make various cakes for my kids when they were younger -- dinosaurs, butterflies, etc. They, of course, thought them beautiful and/or were too young to really care. But I remember one year making a castle cake with frosted ice cream cones for the turrets. By the time I was finished with it, it looked like an ancient castle in ruins! Thankfully, it tasted great.

8thgypsy said...

I made a chocolate cake for my father's 70th birthday and rather than do the usual of just adding a candle for every tenth year, I thought 70 years deserved more. I managed to get 70 candles on the cake, and lit. Dad actually got to see it before the candles melted all over the top turning his favourite gooey icing into a molten waxy mess - not to mention uneatable.

Kathy said...

I remember when Mom took a cake decorating class - she was GREAT at it. Anyway - she put the latest creation in the top oven for storage. Well I forgot to check the oven when I turned it on to preheat. It was a doll cake - so sad...

Kathy

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed Jen's book signing~ boy, am I out of it! I follow Pioneer Woman's blog and she presented "Cake Wrecks" as a great gift to give (or get!). Hilarious!
My personal cake wreck story is my oldest sons' 2nd birthday. The theme was "Pumpkin Patch" for my October baby... and I used grated pumpkin from our tiny pumpkin patch in the back yard as a substitute for carrots in my carrot cake recipe and lowered the sugar amount to make the cake a little healthier. When you do these kind of experiments, it's probably a good idea to not use your party guests as guinea pigs. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't delicious. To "top it off" (literally), I made fondant pumpkins and vines to decorate the cake and one of the Mom's was freaking out that her daughter was eating the pumpkin from her piece cake... "What IS that stuff? What is fondant really made of? Are you sure it is OK to eat?" ...like I was serving tainted cake decorations! Next time: Marzipan!
eringlee (at) sbcglobal.net
Thanks for the chance to win, and as soon as I get the new "Studios", I would love to have our own little "book" signing BLAST! ~Erin Glee : )

Kelly Kilbride said...

Just came from the wal marts, and they had a sign on the side of the bakery case (for employees but completely visible to customers!) that said "To avoid complaints, please pull cake kit and show to customer before they leave." Well, I'm a big fan of Cake Wrecks, and I've seen what people do with those kits, and I'm not sure that just showing me the kit is going to avoid a wreck!

Dana Gustafson said...

While not a cake "wreck" I'll share that last year for my daughters' birthdays (8 and 5), I baked round cakes and base frosted them and let them go to town with sprinkles and then icing with writing tips. They were completely proud and had a blast making their party cakes for everyone to eat. I think I may have created frosting monsters ;) THanks for the tip on the Cake Wrecks blog, Cathe. I love sarcasm and cake!

Michele said...

I love Cake Wrecks! It's just amazing to see the wrecked cakes that people create. I'm so happy the "cakes" are photographed. At least someone is thinking. Not the baker in most cases!

sassypackrat said...

Love Cake Wrecks! Laugh my butt off all the time!
sassypackrat@hotmail.com

Patricia said...

Thank you because I never heard of cake wrecks until today~
How fun is that blog ~ and now a book, awesome!

After taking Wilton1,2&3 I had my share of cake wrecks and would not be surprised if someone did not submit me to the blog for a good laugh!

All the best

Rachel said...

Love it! Hadn't seen it before!

Elaine A said...

We love cakes in our family. I remember for my son's 3rd birthday (he is now 36), I decided to be Betty Crocker and make a cake from scratch, decorate it too. The cake came out so nice, I even added a smaller cake on top that I cut into the number three. I left the prepared cake on the kitchen table which I had pushed close to the wall to make room in my tiny kitchen. Well apparently my son thought the cake was nice too. Unbeknownst to me, he had been going back and forth all afternoon and sticking his fingers into the back of the cake, eating it. When the rest of the family arrived for the party, we were all in for a big surprise. After singing Happy Birthday, I proceeded to cut the cake and when getting to the back of the cake found chunks missing in the back. I was shocked, thinking a mouse or something had gotten to it, when my son says to me with that gappy tooth grin of his "Good cake Mommy, but I no want any more - I full". Needless to say, everyone cracked up laughing.

Elaine Allen

Katie B said...

I love the Cake Wrecks blog! I'm a copy editor, so I find all of the misspellings hilarious and disturbing.

My birthday is in a few weeks, so I'm definitely in the mood for cake!

ctemommy said...

I fortunately have never had a cake wreck but I do love making cakes for my kids' birthdays. That is our tradition, homemade cake or cupcakes in a theme of their choice.
I do love their blog :)
Carla

Amber said...

I love making cakes! I am definitely not even close to a professional though. I checked out the Cake Wrecks blog and she's hilarious! I would love her book!
amber.peters@gmail.com

Caroline B said...

Thank you so much for passing this on - I have just laughed so hard my stomach hurts now! Can't say I've made any cakes that bad, but I always remember my nephew buying an icecream cake for his mum's 50th birthday and covering it with 50 candles...the ones that don't blow out....you can imagine the ensuing mess, melted icecream mixed with solidifying wax. We still ate it..

Anonymous said...

I go to my local walmart and take wreck pictures and send them in to Cake Wrecks... they haven't shown up YET! :) I have a friend at work who's hobby is making beautiful cakes. She doesn't say they are beautiful but I do and she knows I look at cake wrecks all the time and she's afraid i will send her cake pics in. I told her I would only send them in if they would put them on sunday sweets!! :)

Erika said...

English teachers should point their students to the Cake Wrecks site to teach them the importance of punctuation!

Juliet A said...

I used to make the cakes for my children, and was very proud of them, but these last couple of years, my daughter (now 18) has been asking for exotic cakes that I don't have the skills to make. I only recently discovered that it wasn't because she likes exotic cakes, it's that she doesn't like my homemade ones.

mary beth said...

It looks like I'm not the only one who reads Jen's blog just for laughs! I would love having the book, in fact I have put it on my Christmas wish list, but hey winning it would be great too!

the shoppe owner said...

Yay! I was going to say that I don't have any personal cake wreck stories, because my grandmothers and mom always made gorgeous or awesome themed cakes, and I stick primarily to cupcakes, but I stupidly just realized that this is totally untrue.

My own wedding cake was a total wreck!!! Not in a horrifyingly ugly way. But it didn't stick together (it was tiered and the maker - I wish I would have sued them now - didn't put dowels in to hold it together). When I finally got to see it, it was just the top tier of my cake, placed on top of a giant white costco-ish sheet cake, with wild flowers all around it and strawberries and whatnot. It was a hodge-podge and I hated it!!!

Sigh...

GREAT giveaway!

T.Allen said...

Aaah cake wrecks...let's see. Picture, one new bride, one new recipe, one minor flub-one tBs of baking powder insted of 1 tsp of said baking powder...yep, one week of oven clean up and a future replete with Betty in a box cakes!

I'm glad you had fun at the book signing! Cake Wrecks rocks! :D

curegirl0421 said...

Oh I *love* cake wrecks!

My favorite personal wreck was definitely my wedding cake... the sad part was I picked the design from the bakery's own portfolio of stuff it had done before...

Alas, they must have fired that guy before I went in, because what should have been a lovely red swag and red roses cake looked like Carrie had a fit and punished it mightily. Yikes.

Cheryl Carey Bass said...

This blog IS hilarious! Would love to have the book! My cake-related comment: Every birthday for as long as I can remember, on our birthday, our mom (there are 7 of us) bakes us a cake in "The Pan". It's the 9x13 pan she got when she got married in the late fifties. It's aluminumn and has seen wear and tear you can only imagine in the last 50 years! Dents and scrapes aside, we all relish choosing our cake flavor and happily anticipate the cake in "The Pan". My brother Chad usually comes up with horrible concoctions. One of his favorite is lemon cake with coconut pecan frosting (you know the kind that is SUPPOSED to go on German chocolate cake?) It's not SO bad...definitely better than SOME he's chosen! Thanks for getting a book to giveaway!

Ronda C. said...

I think the Christmas cake wrecks are my favorite. Her site is always good for a laugh.

hugmom said...

mdweeks@charter.net
When I was dating my husband we went to Disneyland on his birthday with a group of friends. I had made a cake and left it in the trunk of the car - not thoroughly thinking through the heat in the trunk during the day. When we went to get it later my beautiful decorating job had melted and instead of saying, "Happy Birthday, Matt" it now read more like, "Happy Birthday, rat!"

Campbell or @FELTit or Designs by Anna said...

My dear friend baked me a triple layer strawberries and cream cake a few years ago...she wanted it to be a birthday surprise...and it was...especially when the layers started running "downhill" like the cake in Sleeping Beauty!! It tasted delicious, but it was a Cake Wreck-and I love her for trying!

Anna
www.annasplaceofholding.blogspot.com
anna.pamprdchef@gmail.com

Elaine Elwick Barr said...

I love Cake Wrecks!! One of my favorite things in the world are typos..and to see some of them committed in icing..soooo funny! Darn..wish I'd known they were at copperfields! That sounds like a blast! I had the chance to see the Found magazine boys do a book slide show..it was pretty funny..I imagine this one was as well!! Great post!

xoxo, e

Lindsey Jo said...

I love making cakes and sadly I have made a few that I would consider wrecks. Hopefully they wouldn't make the website, cause those cakes are terrible! My favorites are the ones where it shows the picture of what they ordered from the catalog and what they actually got. Haa!

AdrianneJayne said...

Talk about hilarity! I can imagine nothing more enjoyable than reading that book and shoving cake down my throat at the same time!

The Stewart Stuff said...

I have loved reading her blog and I would love the book. Thanks!!!

I just had a birthday and, fortunately, my cake wasn't a wreck! :0)

cindy said...

i commented this morning under 'cindy' and totally forgot to include my email: cindyascott{at}yahoo.com. oops!

Unknown said...

I've had a cake misspelled before. WHat a mess. I do love cake, though. :)

ScrapAddict said...

What a hilarious blog! Now I'll never feel bad again when the cake falls, the dog eats icing, DS steals teh cupcakes before they're frosted or any other "Cake" mistake!

kieri said...

I love, love cakewrecks. I think my favorite is the fireman cake, just because the story is so funny!

CitricSugar said...

I discovered Cake Wrecks recently and it brings back fond memories of cakes gone awry in my own life.

Kaye Prince said...

Omigosh, I love CakeWrecks! I can't remember how I found it either - it was only couple of months after Jen started the blog - but I laugh hysterically every time I read it. I would love to win a copy of the book since (being a poor Masters student and all) I can't afford to buy it.

Cake related eh? Well, my birthday is on Monday so there will be ice cream cake there! I have a mild gluten allergy so I don't have cake on my birthday, but when other people aren't around to scold me I do occasionally indulge in small pieces of cake and small cupcakes. I think that's why I'm obsessed with CakeWrecks - because I can never really hope to receive a wreck myself.

a.b. said...

This cake blog cracks me up.

When I saw the chicken one I gagged a little. Nice choice.


aniciabarefoot@gmail.com

EmandaJ said...

My Mom never bakes cakes that come out of the pan and have to be frosted because they always fall flat. Apparently I have inherited that gene too.

I baked a bunt cake for a church supper and it didn't want to comeout of the pan, so the resulting turned-out cake had a huge crumbly hole in the top. I put a little sign on it stating it was a special-once-in-a-lifetime crumble cake and, would you believe, they ate it up!

Now, Pick Me for this giveaway -- I'll have to share it with my mom.

Emanda
artyemzia(!at)yahoo(dot)com
ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

In my family, cake is on our mind at this time of year! We have lots of October birthdays. My son's sixth birthday is today. I've already picked up the cake and thankfully, it's not a wreck! Thanks for the chance to win!

Amanda said...

Pick me, pick me!

Nicole Chamberlain said...

mmmmm, cake! I am going to a wedding tomorrow and I look forward to some cake eating!

the undomesticated wife said...

I have literally sat in my computer chair with tears streaming down my face laughing reading some of those cakes! One time, my hubs came walking in the other room to see what was going on because I was cackling so loud. That is by far the best blog ever!

I love how she signed her autograph using the "under neath that" part!!!

Jill said...

No, I had never read the cake wreck blog but just read about it yesterday and now find it here too! What a hilarious book this promises to be. When my friends graduated from college at Wayne State the common expression then (long time ago) was "we're outa here" so a cake was ordered to say that. Instead it said "We are out here". Kind of lost it---but made us laugh!!

dymphna said...

when i look through any cookbook i always look at the cake recipes first
deefna at gmail dot com

Unknown said...

SHUT UP! I love this site and the giveaway - this is so cool of you. OK, favorite cake memory is when my brother-in-law hollowed out my Dad's birthday angel food cake and stuffed a hawaiian shirt inside. It was one of those gifts that kept going back and forth and this is how it got back to my Dad. I thought my Dad was going to die laughing.
What a great blog (yours and Cake Wrecks!)- thanks for sharing!

Janet said...

cakewrecks is a hoot!

My cake comment for the day is that I am having a serious craving for italian cream cake.

My word verify is "mogenut." Might make a tasty cake too!!

Creative Crafter UK said...

Love cakes - but need to become a better cook. I made 40+ cupcakes for work last year and the icing was a mess. Thankfully they still tasted ok. I need a better icing recipe.

Mal said...

love that site - I really really miss that most people don't use butter cream icing anymore. what's the point of splurging on sweets if there is not rich icing?

Jessica said...

I heart cake wrecks! Great giveaway.

the Folding chair said...

I can't think of a cake-related comment, so I'll just show you the two first figure cakes I've made. I was pretty happy with how they turned out, and the guests were impressed :)

http://dronningstjerna.blogspot.com/2009/09/cake-me-away.html

I'd love to participate in the giwe-away. Have a great week end!

Marianne & Clayton said...

I once dropped an entire cake on a carpet floor, before putting it the oven. It was dark chocolate of course. I believe I cried over the loss of cake more than the ruined carpet.
mariannemarguerite@yahoo.com

WhiteStone said...

Would love to win this book. You can contact me by leaving a comment at my blog which is http://revel217.blogspot.com/

I'm a bit leary about posting my email on the internet.

Allison said...

I have been reading CW for a while but haven't got the money to splurge on the book.

I would love to win!
allison.laney.harris@gmail.com

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

I saw that cake a while back on her site,, it is just so funny . I'm a cake decorator and I soo hope i dont get sidetracked and make that kind of mistake.. I'd never live it down.

Debbie_mann@saksinc.com

Nan said...

I have always loved cakes. I had a wonderful babysitter as a child who made me doll cakes growing up. the cake was the skirt for the doll. Double treat for a little girl! Still love cake and Cake Wreaks is wonderful. Glad to see there is a book! Wonderful giveaway!

TJ, Kaylan, Miles, Perry & Simon said...

My favorite cake ever was an awesome cabbage patch cake I had as a kid:)
Kaylan
tk_mccord@hotmail.com

Lona said...

I love the cake wrecks blog! I go there when I need a laugh release. Okay, here are two things about cakes. First, my 18yodd is a fabulous cake decorator (and she knows how to spell, too!) having trained under a fabulous local cake expert. And second, whenever the kids have a birthday, I bake the cake and dh decorates it. It's tradition (and he does a much better job than I at the decorating anyhoo)!

Unknown said...

I was 7 months pregnant when I "celebrated" my 25th birthday. Already feeling like nothing was ever going to be about "me" ever again, I was "delighted" by the pregnant-lady cake that was placed in front of me at my birthday dinner. It even trumped the "great" gifts. (Everyone wants a Diaper Genie for their birthday, right? "Right.")

Love your blog!!

Rebecca

jdavissquared said...

I love that site! Hilarious! Sign me up!

Zom G. said...

LOVE THE WRECKS! I have seen so many in the grocery store and now they have a name. So funny

Sierra Pelona Crochet said...

Being gluten intolerant, I have a love-hate relationship with cake. Do you know how hard it is to find a decent gluten-free cake? I may be forced to learn how to bake for myself! Then we'll be talkin' real cake wrecks!

Erica said...

mmm - cake. Who cares what's written on it, it still tastes good!

Paige said...

Some of my favorite birthday memories involve the cakes that my mom baked and decorated herself. Never a wreck among them.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5067107 said...

This book looks great!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm cake!

CriminalMint said...

i love cake

under neat that

and Cake Wrecks too!

justanotheranna@gmail.com

she dreams big! said...

You are right, this blog is so funny so I know the book is too! I used try to make cakes for my kids' birthdays until they finally asked me not to. Too many tears every year from me when they flopped! Please enter me in the giveaway! uffda_68787@yahoo.com

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

When my daughter was in 2nd grade, we made the cutest cupcakes for her class treats-and dropped them right outside the door. I had to take a few hours of vacation from work to go home and do it all over! They weren't quite as decorated, but they stopped the sad eyes and tears!

Spotgirl said...

Love, love, love Cake Wrecks. When my friend first sent me a link to the site last year, I spent two hours going through every single post right then and there (a naptime well-spent).

Dragonfly Stitches said...

Thanks for leading me to Cake Wrecks. I make my kids a 3D cake for each birthday in the theme they choose. I myself have only had one big cake wreck but we ended up freezing the pirate ship cake that kept falling apart just until time to serve it and it all worked out. I'll be making a bulldog cake next week, first 3D cake for someone else and it's for Young Marine graduation so I hope it doesn't wreck.

Lori O'Donnell said...

Funny, I love to bake but have never made my children a birthday cake -- how sad is that?? My children have only known Costco and Raley's birthday cakes. I don't think I'll win Mom of the Year anytime soon ;)

Lynette said...

I wish that we had a picture of this cake my mom ordered for her church's "Happy Birthday Jesus" party. It looked awful. When we showed it to the manager at the grocery store where we got it from, he gave it to us for free, and apologized.

Texasgal said...

I LOVE that blog! Someone sent me the link to be their fan on facebook, and I can't get enough "cake talk"! Wish they would come this direction for a book signing!
Mandy antiquemoon@hotmail.com

Lori Nommsen said...

hi Cathe
I luckly don't have a cake wreck story yet; But with Lacey becoming a cake decorater I'm sure she will have her moment(so to speak) of disaster.

tattytiara said...

Ugly cakes are delicious! That's why they're the only kind I bake.

Nicole Huot said...

I love that site! My friend Jen's cake was featured on it this past year. She created a cake that looked waaaay too like an actual dead catfish. That was her intention, though. I'm not sure how CakeWrecks found the pictures of her cake (I didn't submit it, I swear!), but I was psyched to actually know a wreckie in person. Heee-larious.

Anonymous said...

"Happy Falker Satherhood" still completely takes the... well, you know.

I wish the Book tour were coming out New England way... some of the Wreckreactions she's been posting are so funny, I'd love to see them in person!

Charmingdesigns said...

It is so fun to find a new blog that is so wonderful. Thank you for sharing...I can't wait to read more. Or to check out the book. How neat to get a signed book! Now I need to go make a cake! lol

cakegirl said...

When my son was about 5 I sent my husband to pick up the cake at the bakery. He didn't bother to look at it and when we opened the box at home it said happy birthday to someone we didn't know.

Vindiciti said...

I've been following Cake Wrecks for a while now. While hilarious, it has also inspired me to make birthday cakes for my kids. Worst case scenario, I can send Jen one of my own cake photos!

The last wreck I made was a death star cake using bowls to bake the halves of the chocolate cake and gluing it together with banana pudding. The thing slid right before I brought it in to my son, but I shoved the top back up. To top it off, we had plastic action figures standing on top, which was totally out of proportion to the death star. Oh, and lets not forget that the icing was gray and dyed everyone's teeth and tongue.

My 11 year old with autism LOVED it, so I don't care how wrecky it was.

Thanks for the laughs!

WW said...

Ooh...how fun. I'm soo glad to have enlightened to this! I hadn't been aware of her blog before!Thanks.
I'm the cake decorator in our family...in fact I've been working on a cake today for another birthday tomorrow.
The most fun ones I do are like a giant takeoff on a huge hostess cupcake...complete with white swirls on the top!

Beth Howard said...

I'll share my own wreck of a cake... though I think it was beautiful in its own twisted way. lol

http://wildedesigns.blogspot.com/2009/09/crazy-cake.html

Peace & Love,
Beth
star_momma at yahoo dot com

Shara said...

The infamous "Curious George/Wolfman" monkey cupcake cake was my birthday cake. It's in the book on Page 17. Happy Birthday Shara - That's ME!

Christine said...

oh i need something like this to make me feel better about my butter cake which always turns out to be a disaster :D

Heather said...

As with most children in Canada, I was a hockey fan and Bobby Orr was my hero. Well, when I realized the team he played for (Boston) had a cake, I was sure I'd love it. I didn't. You see, Boston Cream Pie has cream in it and I'm lactose intolerant. Darn. I still think Bobby Orr was one of the best hockey players, though!
(papeek@videotron.ca)

Rachel Moss said...

I love the CW blog, and am hoping to see Jen this weekend in Dallas. Everytime I go to the grocery store I scan the bakery for a cake wreck, but I'm too scared to take pictures when I do find one!

Ginny said...

I just love that blog, it makes me laugh every day! I saw the book at Barnes & Noble but only had a 2nd to flip through it. I'm now always on the look out for cake wrecks to take pictures of, lol

Shanny said...

I bet this book is fantastic! I love the sarcasm used on the cakewrecks site.

Monica said...

I don't have a cake wreck to share but the best cake I've ever made is NieNie's Mud Cake from the blog Conversations With A Cupcake. Oh. YUM.

Julie Lybbert said...

I love cake! From the looks of it, I would love this book too. :)

Knit -University said...

I have seen Cake Wrecks and love it!!!
I've not had any wrecks myself, but I have a tried and true recipe:
Triple Chocolate Cake
boxed Choc.cake mix
small Choc. instant pudding
1 cup sour cream
half cup veg. oil
half cup water

mix well then fold in a bag of choc chips

oil and dust bundt pan with cocoa.

bake for an hour at 350 degrees

sift powdered sugar over cake when cool

Nettie Edwards said...

On my lord! This is wonderful! thanks for bringing it to our attention x

Georgia Peachez said...

Positively luv Cake Wrecks! xo, suzy

Christine said...

I Love Cake Wrecks! I have had many cake disasters of my own but that was in the actual baking of it!

Last Word said...

Love how naively stupid we can be...under that
hope i win the book

Tiffany said...

I was just checking out her blog- how fun! I love cakes- especially b-day cakes!

Anastasia said...

Personally i like a good carrot cake. My Micah will have nothing to do with a desert that involves vegetables. Around here, cake (or any desert for that matter) does not count unless chocolate and lots of it is involved.

Mel said...

Once for my birthday my grandmother made me a plain, white-frosted, round two-layer cake and handed each of my friends and I a tube of decorating icing. When we had had our fill of squirting, there was about a two-inch layer of rainbow vomit on top. It was delicious on so many levels.

Pattykat said...

We have a home movie of my mom tilting my brother's cake for dad to get a bet shot of it and watching it slide off the cake stand. Next shot, mom trying to hold in her laughter and my brother pouting in the corner. Brother was restored to good humor after the cake was placed back on the cake stand and the candles righted! Love that cover of that book!! Patty

dominique eichi said...

GOSh ! ........ I love these and when humor is applied ..... oh delight . my email is in the title of my blog in case I win. =)

Argenta said...

I always felt like my wedding cake should be on Cake Wreck. While it didn't start out that way, our cake table collapsed and fell to the floor and our Lenox china bride and groom cake top (a very nice gift from one of my guests, by the way) crashed to the floor, breaking off the bride's head in the process. I watched it roll across the room and through all my shocked guests. There was total silence because I think everything thought I might lose MY head!

Anonymous said...

Since almost every cake I have ever baked was a wreck, I cannot resist this book. Thanks for the giveaway!

Audrie Howe said...

I've had several "Cake Wrecks" in my day. I love the blog and would love to win the book!
Audrie
audrie_howe@yahoo.com

Mel said...

I was in the area but couldn't attend! :(

I love her site - it's a must read every day!

Pattyjo said...

A few years ago, I spent all morning making a prize winning cake for the city fair. It had to be freshly made from scratch and decorated. I loaded the kids in the car and carefully drove 20 miles to the Fair grounds only to find the doors locked with a sign up reading Judging 11am.
I was 5 minutes late. I will never forget how disappointed I was. I sat in the car and cried like a baby. Then dropped the cake off at the Fire Dept. for the Firemen. I couldn't take it home.
Now its a funny story, but then it was terrible.LOL
Pattyjo:+)
holschenp@yahoo.com

Travelin Pilgrim said...

Oh my! I have never heard of anything so funny. Here you can have your cake and eat it too!... no matter what it looks like. Thanks for the great info.

By the grace of God ... said...

Been following Cake Wrecks for a while. Love it! We had a recent cake wreck of our own. A few days before my son's wedding we were laughing at some cakes on their site. About a week or so after the wedding, I was looking at the wedding cake and started laughing like crazy. "Till death due you part" LOL! I told my son we were so going to submit his cake to Cake Wrecks!!! He freaked. We haven't but we still might.

Danielle said...

I love cake wrecks! it is a blast to read!

The first thought of a cake disaster is when I bought coloring thinking it was black and it was blue. I was making a car cake for my sons birthday and a car can't have blue wheels so we mixed every color together until we managed to make a good enough black. Unfortunately there was so much dye in there that two of my kids had allergic reactions. But at least I had black tires! :)

Lynn Osborne said...

My favorite cake story is my mom decorating a cake with my high school logo on it. She was so creative! Thanks for the chance to win!

Ammieloris said...

lol. These are so funny! However, I must admit that I could scarcely decorate a cake better. I try to make up for that by making really rich cakes that don't require any frosting, like the molten lava chocolate cakes with pots de creme that I made tonight. ;) mmmm!

Jane said...

How fun is that!
Such a great book!

Terri Lee Takacs said...

Any cake ~ wreck or otherwise ~ is good to me!

Bobbie - Clumsy Crafter said...

I just finished decorating a new cake last night. You can see pictures of it on my blog www.clumsycrafter.blogspot.com . It's the first cake I've decorated in four months since I took time off of decorating to have a baby.

noella said...

woow this comes perfectly with my newest dessert cake obsession!
i really want to win!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I had absolutely no idea that there were so many wrecks! She's very funny!

Anonymous said...

I'll be adding the Cake Wrecks site to my everday reading list! Thanks for the chance to win.

(awelch2706@aol.com)

~j. said...

That site is so funny.

under neat that

I hope I win the book.

Susan said...

I actually just finished eating a Coconut Snowball cupcake from a new bakery in my town. It was delish, despite the major sugar rush which is making me sorta sick. Oh, the sacrifices we make for food.

Thanks for the giveaway!
brightwing316 -at- gmail -dot- com

jenny said...

Oh! I love that blog! (and yours, of course!)... Four our son's third birthday, my husband was planning to decorage with a cool skateboard theme. He accidentally broke the cake in half somehow, but ended up making that part of the decoration, with a skater in mid air, skate trick gone bad. Everyone loved it and it of course still tasted great (I baked it).

Rebecca said...

I'll be 60 in another week and my mother still makes me a birthday cake -- usually Angel Food, carrot or spice. What a great birthday it would be to get all of them! Here's a quote that's typical of my outlook on cake:

I wanted to buy a candle holder, but the store didn't have one. So I got a cake. (Mitch Hedberg)

Thanks for introducing me to another wonderful blog. What a hoot! Thanks, too, for inviting us to play along.

TinaW said...

I'm not sure I've ever met a cake I didn't like, although it might be just barely possible to feed me a cake I didn't enjoy.

indywriter said...

I once made my daughter a cake that looked like Elmo's face. I frosted it with tinted Cool Whip mixed with powdered sugar It worked out so well that the next year I decided to do the same, but make it Cookie Monster. Only this time I forgot about the powdered sugar. After adding the food coloring the Cool Whip was so runny that poor Cookie Monster looked like his face was melting. The frosting slid/ran off the top and down the sides of the cake (taking the eyes with it). Have you ever seen the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark? When all the faces melt off the Nazis? Picture that with Muppets and you get the idea.

Kellie said...

The cake wreck site has convinced me to never again attempt a cake that involves half a Barbie doll covered in buttercream

Alison said...

Oh how I would love to have that book! Cake Wrecks has been putting a smile on my face for quite some time now. :) Thanks for the entry!!

Anonymous said...

We were lucky enough to have seen Jen and John during their visit to Portland on their CakeWrecks "World Tour". Unfortunately they have had to cancel the remainder of the book tour, as John is now in the hospital in Texas. We're sending them our best wishes for a speedy recovery, with many thanks for the laughs they have provided on CakeWrecks.

Kay (redsnowshoe7 -at- yahoo -dot- com)