Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The $22.50 Gamble: Wire Dress Form

After a nice long morning walk in town with my friend, Rose, I swung into an antique store on the way home. Not a store I frequent, a little more on the “mantique” side, but I hadn’t been in a while, and I’m always looking for something fun to craft with.Link

Leaning against a shelf in one space was this wire thing. I knew I’d seen wire like that before, on dress forms I’d viewed on eBay. I brought the flattend pile of wire and small box attached with string to the front and asked the dealer if he would cut the string so I could see what was what. The tag was labeled circa 1940 and the box included dress form parts with an instruction book tucked inside. There looked to be enough of the wire mesh there to make something, even if I couldn’t actually assemble the dress form. And how could I resist the gamble, only $22.50.

Once home, it took only 15 minutes to form this cool cage of wire around my other vintage dress form by pulling and pinching the mesh.

All joining snaps snapped and although the stand is not complete, it’s pretty darn cool as-is and now my home (or studio) has a new sculpture -once I find just the right place for it.




By the way... you can still find vintage My Double wire dress forms on eBay. If you get one without the instructions, let me know, I’ll email you mine.

32 comments:

Gail said...

Oh,
That is so cool! I can just see some handmade tags hanging off it.....or ribbons or whatever....good find!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

That is THE COOLEST THING I HAVE SEEN IN A WHILE! *mega swoon*

Cottage Lifestyle said...

WOW! I want one. Good eye!

Renee

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome find! It does look like a sculpture, doesn't it?
me@salihan.com

Glitter & Bliss said...

Oh my goodness.... That is so cool. I have never seen anything like it. Great find....

La Table De Nana said...

Oh you lucky duck! Perfect home it came home to!!!

Robin said...

Awesome find! Love how it looks on your dress form!!

Take Care - Robin

Anonymous said...

That is so cool - it would make a great display for just about anything.

Mademoiselle Julie said...

I agree - a fun piece! Maybe to hang notes on? Plenty of room to play with... Cheers, Julie

The Soladay Family said...

Ohhhh!!! I'm so jealous! That is a great find! You go, Bargain Hunter Woman!!!

linda said...

oh wow! what a find :) my mum used to have a blue one of these when i was little - i actually saw one myself in a junk shop garden a couple of weeks back - but it was sooooo rusty, i think it had been there years!
yours is fab! good hunting :) linda x

Shell in your Pocket said...

Wow..that is so very unique~
sandy toe

SueLovesCherries said...

It's perfect! You're going to have so much fun with that!

xashee's corner said...

oh that is really COOL! GREAT find! :) Thank you for sharing too! :) Have a FUN day!

Little Lovables said...

Wow, I love that! You can do so many amazing things with it.

Mom O Matic said...

That's fabulous!

Bette's Bags said...

What a special find! I'm jealous!

Joyce said...

Very cool find!!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Love it!

TidyMom said...

Ooooh, I LOVE that!!
where do you come up with all these great ideas?!

~TidyMom

Jill said...

Wow! I just say a wire dress form (already made with a stand) for $95 yesterday. Yours is a great deal!

Anonymous said...

I just got a dress form like this from my mother-in-law. It didn't have instructions with it, but I managed to figure it out. I did, in fact, try to make it my shape by taking it all apart and molding it to my body. It made me feel a bit like an iron maiden! At any rate, I got a tape measure and managed to make it around the right size! Then i draped it in an old sheet and I call it the Margaret Two. Kinda looks like a bizarre wedding dress... :)

Corvus said...

This is a hugely belated request, but would you willing to e-mail me the instructions you mentioned? My boyfriend recently pulled one of these out of the depths of his family farm, and you came up when I googled it, and I'd love to know more about the thing!

Thank you!

corvus.melloriATgmailDOTcom

Unknown said...

Great Dressform! I recently inherited one from my grandmother. I have the stand and most parts, I think, but no instructions. Would you mind emailing me the instruction manual? Many thanks!!

redswan716@yahoo.com

FrecksRCute said...

I just got one of these dress forms and set it up, without benefit of the instructions which would have saved a bit of frustration. Would be great to have a copy - could you please send to me? Many, many thanks to you!

Unknown said...

Hi there- fun site! Here's another request for an email of the instructions. . . ligon.tara@gmail.com
THANKS in advance!
My first attempt looks rather malformed. . .

Unknown said...

Hi,
I would love it if you could send me the instructions. I have some vintage wire I got and it doesn't have the instruction. I thought it did, so this would be a huge save for me. Thank you!!
My email is ariannasimon(at)yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

hi there, i noticed in your pictures that you may have gotten the accessories with it. I am looking for the extension rods that were in the box. I would be willing to buy them from you if you are not using them and want to part with them. please email me when you get a chance. thanks for your post! this is a great find, i too found mine for around $30 at a antique store. sweetiebirds@juno.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've got my Wire Dress Form also from Ebay but at a bit higher price and without instructions! So you were very very lucky to grab such a bargain! Could you please email the instructions? I plan to use the form as a real mannequin although all the guests think it's a sculpture. Thanks in advance! tatyana(at)artofliving.ru

Allman said...

Lucky YOU! Great eye! Could you send me the instructions too please?
fkmcja@swbell.net

Marlena said...

I was very fortunate that someone gave me her mom's dress form just like this with a really nice fabric cover for it. I disassembled it & made it flat for an out of state move a year ago & have forgotten how the extension rods go in. So long story short I would love it if you could email me the instructions. Your valuable time is much appreciated!

Marlena =^..^=

Anonymous said...

Hey i have one just like this and it was given to me as a gift 12 years ago and i never knew anything about it before till i read here that it is from the 1940's! that is so cool!! thank you for posting this information and i was wondering if you could email me the booklet that came with it please, i would love to see the details on it. thank you so much! slackerelf@gmail.com