Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Holden’s Vintage Goods
















When the kids were in preschool, and I was not quite ready to get back to full-time graphic design, I began selling antiques at the urging of Eileen Alexander, a gal I would run into every weekend at flea markets and garage sales. Eileen is still going strong as a dealer in the same shop in Petaluma, but I fizzled out. The hunt is pretty rough these days and the competition fierce.

I came across some photos of my space at an antique collective from about 8+ years ago. I had a wonderful large space upstairs on the mezzanine. What I wouldn’t do to climb into these photo and keep some of the stuff I sold. You can see some of the reverse painted window signs I used to make! Someone even bought the one with Holden’s Vintage Goods on it. Ha! I think they knew a Holden. I still have some price tags and business cards left over. I had the tags printed, corners cut and middle perforated. I stamped with the eraser of a pencil a brown circle at the top (to simulate a reinforcement seal) and hole punched in the middle to run the string through.

Well, it was a great ride while it lasted. I never made much money at it, but that wasn’t so much the point. Many of us became dealers to simply support our vintage shopping habits.

Enjoy the tour! Click to enlarge!










9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Looks like that would've been such a fun job!

Unknown said...

I agree! You do have a good idea for vintage goods. I especially love that red cash register.

BTW - thanks for the words of encouragement. It's good to hear from someone who's been there and started a business

Zura said...

I've just found your blog and spent a good part of the aftenoon reading it. Love it! I want to be you when I grow up :)

Suzy said...

You're right, they are few and few between now, antique marts I mean.... I have watched so many close down due to selling on EBAY instead. My mother, aunts, and I used to make a Saturday afternoon shopping experience, one Saturday a month. Thoses were the good ole days....

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

That looks like fun. My mom has a booth at an antique store. They are still all over Texas and Oklahoma.

nano*ink said...

As an English grad...sometimes spelling pops out at me. I think you are fabulous...and never make mistakes...but one

the word is simulate not similate. Don't hate me. I made a comment on your guest design thing...I am not all bad.

Cathe Holden said...

Thanks so much Nancy!! I fixed the type-o! I wonder how much I do that and never know!! So keep reading my blog and I am officially appointing you (you do have the credentials, after all)to keep my journaling looking sharp! lol!

Baby IT'S HOT!!!! said...

I want that FIRE bucket!

noella said...

woow seems like u were in heaven with all those vintage goods.. btw do you still have any of these vintage items left??