Once home, it was serious sticker removal and unscrewing of brass hardware and front wooden plates from their drawers.

Then Rustoleum Aqua Spray Paint -a much bolder color than I thought it would be and had serious thoughts of repainting. But once I reassembled it and replaced the hardware, it looked really pretty.
I removed the brass-knobbed rods that went through each drawer meant to hold down the library cards, and some were missing anyway. I covered the holes with some scrapbooking typewriter style numbers I had. I love stuff with numbers. Drug it into my tiny studio and here she is. I wish I had a better base, but this red bench will work for now. I still have to label each drawer, but she is getting filled with crafty ephermera, etc. and she’s topped off with the lovely bouquet of “just because” roses my husband brought me yesterday.

29 comments:
BEAUTIFUL!
What a find! I would be thrilled to find a treasure like that - and what a great color!
oooooh I've always wanted a card catalog!! Beautiful. So amazing how quickly you painted this baby. Love your pretty roses too.
I am utterly, unbearably jealous!
A card catalogue! Oh, my stars!
I would have made such a fool of myself when I found it - complete with squealing, hand clapping, and some decidedly unbecoming jumping up and down...
I'm so jealous! Around here they want millions for those. $40 was a total steal! Keep your eye out for one for me too!
Cool! You should submit it to Design Sponge - They do a lot of before and afters!
wow how lucky are you to find it! i am a touch jealous too ;)
Wow...just absolutely awesome! It turned out just beautiful!
soooooooooo cute!
That was a great find-! I have to admit, I like the original, vintage look, but you prettified it so nicely!
Are those all your pens, along the wall (behind the completed file box)? Functional decor, if so!
Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!
Just to clarify for those who preferred the BEFORE cabinet- it is really just pressed particle wood with wood veneer and plastic drawers. It really DOES look better in real life painted, I promise. I didn't paint over some nice oak or anything : )
And yes, those are my Design markers in wire plate racks in the background that I found stored for over 10 years in a plastic bin in my barn from my days at the design firm. I only had around 10 died out ones. Great pens for sure!
Oh! Look at all your Pantone markers!
Oh wait, not Pantone...Design markers. I have mine somewhere in a plastic box.....
Oh my goodness! THAT is awesome! Love the color you chose. (Sometimes, I freak out at the thought of painting something...but not anymore...true inspiration here!)
that is amazing. love it.
can i have it?
awesome! I wish I had luck in finding such stuff!
I am so incredibly jealous! I've been searching for an old card catalogue for what feels like years.
Great find! & it looks gorgeous in your studio.
Ack!! I am so jealous! I've been looking for a card holder for almost ten years and I haven't found anything in a decent price range. I can't think of any other piece of furniture so well suited for a studio, well, other than an overstuffed chair, of course.
This is absolutely gorgeous.
This is georgeous!
oh my god. i would love one of these. i'm hunting for one now.
ooooh, I love it!
fantastic find and beautiful redo!!
{ julie }
I am so in love with this...and the just because roses.
SERIOUSLY!! Stop. I can't read anymore.
I need to go shopping.
That is such a great idea! I love card catalogs and never could justify picking one up but know I know just what to do with it!!
Reading your blog is a treat!
Love it!
Gotta say though...your colored pens standing up in that wire hanger... brilliant!
I LOVE it!!!! Great job.
Love how you redo your storage cabinets, Cathe, and I'm getting jealous of your charming studio.
The pens look so neat displayed that way.
i so love this!
I can't stop. I've been subscribed for months...but it wasn't until tonight that I dared dive into your archives...and the cause for my hesitation has been verified. My husband has retreated to television surfing while I click...click...click. I want everything I see. I want to create. I want to be able to live without sleeping to avail time to create.
Your site is incredible. I'm in awe.
- A fan down in New Zealand
Post a Comment